1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

moulting

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by lmoosse, Aug 18, 2011.

1. lmoosse

lmoosse New Egg

Aug 18, 2011
    Hi ...relatively new chicken owner. I have a flock of 9, one year old chickens and added 6 more this spring. Several of the older chickens seem to be doing what I have been calling a perpetual moult. It just keeps going and going. Any thoughts? Will it stop eventually? Is there anything I can do to make it end? Thanks

2. chickee

chickee Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Unfortunately, once they start molting it seems like forever for them to finish [​IMG] Some of mine are going through a molt right now and look so scruffy. Feathers are made from protein, so to help the new feathers grow back in I throw my chickens a handful of black oil sunflower seeds (purchased at the feed store) that are high in protein, and old fashioned oats for the B vitamins, in the morning. Chopped Romaine lettuce once a day really gives them a boost because it is high in Thiamine which is necessary for good heart and nervous system health. Good Luck [​IMG] Oh, and [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  3. CarlaS

CarlaS Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2011
    [​IMG] from MN! Good luck w/ your chickens! [​IMG]

4. wava1vaughn

wava1vaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2011
    Cairo Ga.
    Hi from Ga.

[​IMG]

WELCOME ABOARD. [​IMG]

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    [​IMG] from Kansas, Imoosee! Glad you joined the forum. I'm pretty new to birds myself so I'm [​IMG] on your moulting question! Best of luck! [​IMG]

6. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    WELCOME!

[​IMG]

7. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    Welcome to BYC!

8. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. Good advice given on raising the protien. You can also give them some chick starter to up their protein level. [​IMG]

9. CarlaS

CarlaS Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2011
    [​IMG] to BYC!

10. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us. I know what you mean. Some of ours are moulting right now (some of the ducks, too) & they look so scraggly that I feel sorry for them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by