Moulting?

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by SassyKat6181, Oct 13, 2011.

1. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    Kept the guineas in today as the weather was really rainy and calling for thunderstorms. Went to water and lock up and I swear there were enough feathers spread around the coop to make up an entire bird. I did a head count 3 times to make sure! [​IMG] They are only 6 months, is it a usual moulting time?

2. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    I don't know if it is molting. Mine are 5 months and I see feathers all over all the time. I am anxious to see the answer.

3. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    They are usually out free ranging, and they go all over....so I usually don't see any feathers. But I swear I could make a decent pillow with the amount of feathers in the coop from them being in just one day.

4. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    My Guineas moult in the fall, which is the norm for all of my full grown birds (and my Hens stop laying when they moult).

I have tons of light colored Guineas, so it looks like it snowed here, inside and out, lol.

5. patti'speeps

patti'speeps Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2010
    Greensburg, Indiana
    My Guineas are molting now as well. There outside pen looks like one of them exploded there are so many feathers, lol. I thought something got in and shredded one when I first saw all the feathers. It would take a pretty gutsy racoon to take on one of my Jumbo Guineas, lol.

6. leonphelps

leonphelps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Bucks County PA
    it would make sense that the birds moult to grow thicker feathers for the winter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by