Mountain Lion took one of our hens! :(

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Atrayu, Sep 26, 2011.

1. Atrayu

Atrayu Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2011
    Hermosa, South Dakota
    Yesterday while we were eating supper, a mountain lion came and took one of our free ranging hens. The was news of a mountain lion in the neighborhood (report of four goats being killed a few days ago). Our coop is very secure at night (including an electric permeter) so coop safety is not the issue. It happened so fast, I had just fed our hens (a group of 18) and they were all there. Went in to eat supper and when I came back to put the girls to bed saw that one was missing. My family went searching for her and we found a pile of feathers and lion tracks.
    Since mountains lions usually attack at night, dusk or dawn, we will keep our Blue Heeler (who really enjoys our chickens and they really love hanging with her) on watch with them when we have supper and in the morning when I let them out before work. The Game and Fish are on the hunt for the lion, but I know this lion knows there is a supply of food on our ranch (I live in the Black Hills of South Dakota).

If anyone has any suggestions on what else I can do to keep from losing any more of our hens, please let me know.
    I know there is always a risk of predators living in a wilderness area, it was just my first lost and needed to share with folks who would understand.

Little Carol Ann (our Gold Star pullet) R.I.P.

thanks
    Mark

2. Atrayu

Aug 12, 2011
    Hermosa, South Dakota
    If anyone has any ideas about keeping mountain lions at bay, please share.
    thanks

3. crazyhen

crazyhen Overrun With Chickens

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    Mt lions can eat Blue heelers. Take care of your dog too. In Colorado they steal dogs and eat them if they are in the back yard. My Son lives there and has told me. Gloria Jean

4. heather112588

heather112588 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2010
    Baltimore, MD
    I can't help you but wanted to say sorry for your loss. Geez, mountian lions.. and i thought that fox and bobcats were bad!

5. Atrayu

Aug 12, 2011
    Hermosa, South Dakota
    Thank you both!
    Good point on the lions eating Blue Heelers,
    She is pretty smart and won't approach it, but she will let us know it is out there.

6. airmechreed

airmechreed Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Colorado Springs
    Lead will keep mountain lions at bay. Buy it in bullet form. Load it in your firearm of choice. Then just like a fire extinguisher point and shoot.[​IMG]

7. chefchick

chefchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Quote:X2!

8. brahmakid11

brahmakid11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    sitting on the toilet
    i have a suggestion stay in a tree all night with a ar-15 and when it comes bang! bang! bang!!! and then grill it eat it there you go revenge and a feast atleast thats what i would do

9. airmechreed

airmechreed Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Colorado Springs
    sorry for your loss. good luck. if you get the mountain lion who did this maybe you could grind it up and feed it to your chickens.

10. Atrayu

Aug 12, 2011
    Hermosa, South Dakota
    Great responses! Especially grinding it up to feed to the chickens. They definitely made me smile.

We do have a gun ready. We are allowed to kill the lion if it has killed pets and livestock and since little Carol Ann was both, its bye-bye lion.
    I don't like killing animals, but if it becomes a threat to my family and pets, then it has to go.
    thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by