1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mountain Quail Aviary

Discussion in 'Quail' started by dainironfoot, May 15, 2011.

1. dainironfoot

dainironfoot Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2010
    woodburn, Oregon
    Hi guys! I have raised coturnix for close to ten years now and have an opportunity to get a small colony of mountain quail. I know these guys are harder by far to keep than coturnix but I'd like to try. I am planning on a 12'X6' aviary that stands 4 feet high. Does this seem ok for 6 birds? Also I was going to cover the top with an actual roof rather than netting or mesh, would this be allright? How flighty are they....I have a few dogs than run by occasionaly and was wondering if they would freak out. Thanx in advance guys!

-Tony

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Sounds like that size should be enough room for 6 birds. One of my quail aviaries for my 6 Bobwhites, which are about the same size bird, is 10'x10'. Yours is only a bit smaller but Mountain Quail should get along better together and not need too much more room.

They are a bit skiddish around quick movement and probably will never get over dogs running passed. I put in a big brush pile from cut branches in with my quail so that they have places to hide not only from each other but from things they think are coming after them. Makes them feel at home in a more natural environment.

Using roofing over the quail is a good idea as they will appreciate a dry area. I keep a tarp over my aviaries that I can roll and unroll depending on the weather.

Mountain Quail are beautiful birds. Good luck! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I got to thinking that 4 feet might not be tall enough for them. They may have a tendency to flush and 4 feet maybe too low for them. If you could go at least 5 feet, that might be better for them. [​IMG]

4. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Use A Soft Netting Mesh Suspended Under The Hard Roof To Prevent Flushing Injuries... Kinda Like The High Wire Act Net At The Circus Only In Reverse [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by