Mountain quail

Discussion in 'Quail' started by SuperPeacockman, Jun 17, 2011.

1. SuperPeacockman

SuperPeacockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    I found some mountain quail on CL and I was wondering about them. Any facts I should know? Are they easy to care for?

2. toejam

toejam Never enough birds

Dec 21, 2009
    SW Ohio, Wilmington
    From what I've read, they arent for beginners, but If you are confident you can raise em, get em [​IMG] . I dont know anything bout them though.

3. 1shotcleaner

1shotcleaner Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    duke center pa 16729
    they are verry flighty, big and like to be outside. the only lay in the spring early summer its a big egg realy pointed. but with that said if you sell they bring a good dollar. both eggs and birds. make sure they are mountain and not gimbail/gambil quail "you know what im talking about" they look alot alike.

4. BobwhiteQuailLover

BobwhiteQuailLover Country Girl[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Quote:X2. Have foam on the top of the pen, so they can't fly up and break their necks.

5. SuperPeacockman

Sep 1, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    If they had a wire run would they need foam on the wire or just on the parts with a solid roof? I have raised peacocks, guineas, and chickens am I still a beginner?

6. SuperPeacockman

Sep 1, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Also would they need winter heat, I live on Long Island NY if that helps

7. 1shotcleaner

1shotcleaner Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    duke center pa 16729
    i visited a fella this winter 2feet of snow and they were walking around on it with the coop window open day and night, just a deicer in the water bolw. they are hardy birds but dont surprise them. net top penns work good they strech, when hit.

8. BobwhiteQuailLover

BobwhiteQuailLover Country Girl[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.

Sep 25, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Quote:The whole roof. Well start out with coturnix and bobs.

9. londonbridges

londonbridges Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    houlton maine
    Hi
    I raise Mountain Quail, got some chirping in the hatcher as I am writing this message. they are very hardy birds i live in Northern Maine and mine do very good. They are not beginner birds,the
    beaks on the chicks have to be trimmed starting at 4 or 5 days old so they will not toe pick ,up to 5 weeks old. I do sell eggs in the spring and started birds in sept ,oct when the weather cools.
    I had amale start to toe pick alittle this spring so I did not sell any more eggs do to the fertility .I have acolony flock, but i do not take the chance on selling unfertile eggs. abyc member fat daddy wanted some eggs but, if you read this message that is why you did not here from me .this is also a mountain trait in breeding season.but they are well worth the time and effort. adding more breeders to my flock, so ishould have lots of eggs next spring
    Doug

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by