mountain quail

Vent sexing is never a good idea unless you are a professional at it. You can kill the bird.

However here is a place that can feather or blood DNA test birds for sex. I have never used them and don't know what it costs. Unless they are day old chicks, and you use the feather check method, (hens have more growth on the primaries than males), then you may have to wait til they mature.
smile.png
(I am not sure you can feather sex Mountain Quail).

Here is the link: http://www.avianbiotech.com/questionsaboutfeathersexing.htm

Good
luck!

Last edited:
Males will have blue sometimes a little brown on the back of their neck, and females will have blue with a brown stripe going down the back of their neck. Hope I helped!
smile.png

That sounds like the same thing.Not possitive which is which,but 1 has blue around the neck(I believe the male,as we do have more color),while the other has brown that breaks up the blue.I do not believe it is a brown stipe,it goes from shoulder to shoulder.
In N.H.,Tony.
Quote:

Ok. I talked to my local Mountain Quail breeder and he says that in the male, the back of the neck will be greyish blue all the way up the head from the back. While the female will have the brown that is on the back extend up onto the head.

He says they are very difficult to really sex correctly until the fully mature. And even then, all this can be absent in west coast Mountain Quail.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom