Mountain quail

Hi
I raise mountain quail .have about 25 birds for sale this fall that i have hatched out.There is 4 different bloodlines in my flock Iam expanding my breeder flock this year to more birds. there is valley quail they are different than mountains. I also have Gambil quail .Mountain quail are the larger of the quail.very beautiful birds and males have very nice call.but you need lots of space,these birds are toe pickers you have to clip beaks from 4 days old to 4 weeks,about every 4 to 5days.these are not beginner birds.If you have any more questions you can message me .Thanks Doug

hi just wanted to ask if you have any mountain quail for sale , and if you can
ship to puerto rico thanks.....

As an fyi, I received some male mountain quail this morning from Lonnie Bougie in Wisconsin. I talked to him yesterday and he said he still has around 16 birds and he only plans to keep 2 pairs. So if you need males, females, or pairs, you can call him at (920)265-9912. For those who want eggs, I do not know if he sells eggs but you can give him a call regarding that. He does not have a computer so phone calls is the only communication (inquiry, getting tracking number, etc.). The no computer is the only thing that is kind of on the down side but other than that, he's excellent to work with.

Last edited:
Hello there. I would love some advice of you about mountain quail. What are their feeding requirement's. What do they eat. Apart from different type's of millet seeds and greenfoods and insects.... I cannot wait for ther good weather so I can build them a flight..
Cheer's BOB in the uk.

Feed them gamebird food or even turkey food, something with 24% to 28% protein in it. They do love fresh greens, veggies, quartered fruit and yes those bugs!

Hello there. I would love some advice of you about mountain quail. What are their feeding requirement's. What do they eat. Apart from different type's of millet seeds and greenfoods and insects.... I cannot wait for ther good weather so I can build them a flight..
Cheer's BOB in the uk.
I think you are doing fine with food if they are adult birds. In the wild, the diet of adult mountain quail is mostly vegetarian with a small percentage of protein. However, the young is the opposite and they need more protein than green food. As the young get older, their diet will become more and more vegetarian like the adults. I have examined a few crops contents that were given to me from hunted birds in the fall (=adults) and each quail usually have less than 10% protein (mostly 5% though). But in a caged environment, the recommendation by twocrowsranch is fine since it contains the essential vitamins, etc. as well.

As an fyi, hens before and during the egg-laying period should be fed more protein because it's needed for good egg development, but if not for egg laying, the hens diet is mostly vegetarian. My adults hate earthworms, they are ok with meal worms, but during the eggs laying season, the hens eat try to eat them as much as they can. It's weird because they are not like that the rest of the year.

Aye, Reading in an earlier comment.On mountain quail, One man commented on the valley quail, as in the same breath as mountain quail. Has he any pics of them as I have allway's been led to believe that they where a form of bob white's or californians. I would love to see the difference though. I have just put in another six bluescaled in the incie.today.
Cheer's BOB....

Aye, Reading in an earlier comment.On mountain quail, One man commented on the valley quail, as in the same breath as mountain quail. Has he any pics of them as I have allway's been led to believe that they where a form of bob white's or californians. I would love to see the difference though. I have just put in another six bluescaled in the incie.today.
Cheer's BOB....
I do not recall reading a post about it but could you provide the link to what you mean when you say that valley quail are in the same breath as mountain quail? As far as I know, both quail are different species just like how a golden red pheasant is different from a silver pheasant. One easy difference is to look at their plumes (a quick google search should help).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom