Mounting an omelette chicken door vertically? Anyone ever try it

bayareapilot

Crowing
13 Years
Jun 8, 2010
San Francisco
Has anyone ever tried mounting The Omelette chicken door on its side so it goes up and down vertically? I know it's set up to move horizontally but looking at the way it's constructed I don't see any reason it couldn't work as a vertical up and down door. I use the omelet doors for my nesting boxes in the chicken coop the two I have right now are mounted horizontally but I'd like to put a third one in and it will fit if I mount it vertically. I don't trust the doors enough to use on my chicken coop, for using the time function to open the nesting boxes during the time they normally go into the nesting boxes in the morning and closing them before the late afternoon which discourages sleeping inside the nesting box. Works well you just have to figure the timing for your particular chickens.

Anyway though just wondering if anyone had tried mounting it so it moves up and closes on downward movement?

Attachments

• 20220415_130940.jpg
    20220415_130940.jpg
    293.5 KB · Views: 35
It might work, it depends on the strength of the motors. The only thing you might not be able to do is mount it so the door closes up, dirt could easily get in the tracks and stuff it up.

It might work, it depends on the strength of the motors. The only thing you might not be able to do is mount it so the door closes up, dirt could easily get in the tracks and stuff it up.
I went ahead and did it and it seems to track up and down just fine. The chickens aren't using it yet but then again it is a new unfamiliar location. Although the door on its side has the smaller vertical opening but it still looks like it should be sufficient. Time will tell thanks for your feedback!

Back
Top Bottom