1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mounting PC fan in Hovabator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by imprimis, Apr 25, 2008.

1. imprimis

imprimis Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2008
    The Thumb, MI
    I have 4" x 4" pc fan that I would like to mount in a still-air Hovabator from the 80's, I don't know if they have changed since then. Where is the best location for it? The only place on the lid where it would not interfere with the heating element was on one of the windows.

Somebody out there must have added a pc fan to this particular unit. Maybe someone with pictures? [​IMG]

Thanks so much,
    Eric

2. RoostersCrow

RoostersCrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi Eric

I have not done that but do have a forced air LG. Their fan is on the lid under the foam between the windows.

I do not believe there is much right or wrong for location so long as you are stirring the air. The only caveat I would give is do not mount it right under a vent hole. That could cause drafting/problems holding temp. However, the LG setup has such a vent hole over their fan (about 1/32") but ther is a plug for it (I leave it in) , so that is a possible way to help contol humidity.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2008
  3. chickenshadow

chickenshadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2008
    Iowa
    This has come up many times before. Trouble is most pc fans are low voltage DC
    and need an adaptor. Plus the fan kits that you buy for the bators shoot air out the
    sides and are much more effective.

If you a tech geek or mechanically inclined it can be done. My suggestion for 90%
    of people is to spend the $30 on the Hova or LG fan kit.

4. tntstanifer

tntstanifer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2007
    Tennessee
    Goodness, now big is it? I just installed the fan kit for my Hovabator and it goes in the middle. It did have a template though, where you move the thermostat over to the side under the window, then you have to make new holes for the fan. I was all confused though, because the hovabator I bought, already had everything moved and the holes already drilled. Good luck!

5. imprimis

imprimis Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2008
    The Thumb, MI
    Thanks all for the replies. The only place between the windows would put the fan about an inch and a half under, or over if the the lid was on, the heating element. There is a little "play" or movement of the element and when the lid is in its normal position, the element would be about 3/16" from the fan. Does the element get hot enough to melt plastic?

I was also curious about the amount of airflow needed. With the fan mounted directly on the surface I barely feel the air blowing from the fan since it can't draw air from the backside. My gut reaction to this is that I really don't want too much air blowing on the eggs and that this small amount of airflow is fine. Am I correct to assume this?

Chickenshadow, I do have an adapter and have wired it up. I got this 22 year old bator and turner, that was used only once, for 30 bucks. I couldn't spend another 30 on a fan now could I. [​IMG]

6. championny

championny Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2008
    Saint Johns, AZ
    I wonder if you can rig it on its side? This way, it takes air from one side, blows it to another and then circulates again. If you wanted to catch that flow that would be my suggestion.

7. chickenshadow

Mar 28, 2008
    Iowa
    Quote:Hey if you got it that far than go for it. Use long bolts and nuts and have a gap of at least
    1/2" between the fan and the top. Let it blow towards the top so you aren't blowing air
    directly on the eggs in the middle.

Good luck. Sounds like you are almost there.

8. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:Hey if you got it that far than go for it. Use long bolts and nuts and have a gap of at least
    1/2" between the fan and the top. Let it blow towards the top so you aren't blowing air
    directly on the eggs in the middle.

Good luck. Sounds like you are almost there.

Yeah ... what he said, except for the last bit. It should blow down, directly onto the eggs, and thus onto the water tray below them.

This doesn't harm the eggs, and helps enormously with humidity control.

All the suggestions about blowing sideways, or installing anywhere except in the centre of the top, will lead to temperature control problems. It will only work if, as near as possible, you create conditions of linear flow of air.

The 1/2 inch gap is critical (well, a decent sized gap).

Use long bolts and spacers ... it's pretty straightforward.

Using an adaptor is easy, and not a disadvantage. In fact, if you use a multi-voltage adaptor, then you get even more control than the ridiculously expensive kit, because you can control the fan speed with the voltage selector.

$30 for a PC fan with a small transformer atatched is, by the way, excessive.

ymmv

9. chickenshadow

Mar 28, 2008
    Iowa
    Twigg you really think blowing the fan down is the way to go?
    It seems to me that would cause a tempature variance in the eggs
    directly beneath the fan. I have 4 bators with fans and none of them
    blow directly at the eggs.

10. swiftfoot

swiftfoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2007
    Blountville , TN
    i have looked at a couple of these things
    i would go for it
    the only downfall is the eggs under the fan grow quicker

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by