Mounting Rooster

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by azhenhouse, Jan 25, 2011.

1. azhenhouse

azhenhouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2010
    North Eastern Arizona
    How often will a rooster mount a hen? Is it everyday? I know that it is part of mating and dominance, but is mating a seasonal thing? Sorry, I just don't have a clue. Thanks

2. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    It seems like my roosters mount all day long up until the hen is on the roost. I can't stand it. [​IMG]

3. azhenhouse

Jul 12, 2010
    North Eastern Arizona
    Great! Is your hen missing her back feathers?

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Roosters stop mounting hens when the hens get away.

Or when the rooster is asleep.

Or dead.

My dominant rooster tags every girl he can as they come put of the coop in the morning; he gets about every third or fourth.

Only takes a few seconds, so there's a whole lotta energy left over for the next try.

Roosters are horn-dogs, what can I say???

5. Higins00

Higins00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Ct
    They mount all day everyday. If the roo is nice no feathers will be missing but they can pull them out when mounting.

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    For me, since our winter season has such short days, the roosters tend to stop mating or come to quite a slow occurence from November until about February or March. Otherwise, yes, they will mate with a hen as often as they can.

Feather loss from a hen is caused by favoriting, too few hens around, or too small of an area provided. Some things to prevent it are offering more perches outdoors, offering a larger area, increasing the hen ratio, or getting rid of the roosters. I personally keep all my boys in a separate area so all the girls have their own peace to each other until I need a pairing done, which takes only 2 minutes to half an hour to do.

7. azhenhouse

Jul 12, 2010
    North Eastern Arizona
    We are getting a rooster this weekend and I am hoping he won't be pulling the feathers off any of the hens. He'll have eleven to mess around with so maybe they can catch a break [​IMG]

8. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    Quote:X2

My roo is like a teenage boy. He's full of hormones.

9. maggiemooscluckers

maggiemooscluckers Chillin' With My Peeps

My 22 week old roo mates off and on all day and evening. He doesn't seem to be too particular but he does favor the RIR. Her back feathers are a little thin in that area. I am watching her closely and if he keeps after her until all her feathers in her lower back are almost gone then he will have to be separated for a while. I am really interested in fertile eggs for hatching so I don't mind all the "messing around" that he does. As long as he doesn't harm the girls. He started approaching the girls at around 17 weeks old. Most of the girls didn't want anything to do with him until they reached 19 to 20 weeks. Some of the girls are laying now so it's really exciting. Can't wait until I get a broody to sit on the eggs.

10. melodie_a

melodie_a Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2010
    Sanford, NC
    Quote:LOL..X2!

And what is it about when they are coming out of the coop that gets them all worked up? Ours jumps somebody everytime I open the door. I am constantly batting him off of a hen trying to get out. I swear that boy will tag anything that stands still long enough!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by