Mounting?

mickey328

Songster
7 Years
May 4, 2012
Northern Colorado
Hi All

When we got our 6 member flock (all RSL hens, 8 months) I noticed that one had some bare, not-quite-bloody patches on each shoulder. I assumed she was low man on the pecking pole. After a few days they looked like they were getting better...just pink but no new feather growth. Day before yesterday I noticed they were bad again and mentioned it to DH. He said he'd seen that she (Brenda) seems to be mounted by one/some of the others frequently. So, I'm wondering if the damage is from their claws during this process rather than pecking...there are no other bare/bloody spots.

Have you had this issue? Anything I can or should do about it? She's eating and laying well, and doesn't seem intimidated by the others.

Thanks
Mickey

When the roos try to mate with her they dig in with their feet and grab onto the back of the hens head, quite brutal to watch, but if there is more than one roo and all of them are mating with one hen frequently, because they do choose favorites, then she will have lots of sores and lots of feather loss.

That's kind of what I thought. We don't have a roo, though...just girls. I know mounting behavior in most animals is quite common, regardless of gender, so I assume the actual behavior isn't anything to worry too much about unless she starts to show ill effects.

Are you positive none of them are roos? Dont know if you are a long time chicken keeper or new to the league but if you need help determining sex post pics and everyone on here is very good at that. If positive there are no Roos sometimes the Alpha hen will take the position of roo and even crow, so dominating the others by mounting is possible, your Brenda may be on the bottom of the totem pole in that case and is being brutally picked on if you dont notice any other with this problem

They're sexlinks, so it's pretty easy to tell, even though I'm new to chickens :) I haven't noticed any crowing but we do have one out there right now who's doing a really good impression of a loud laughing hyena!

LOL so funny that may be your alpha hen .. Yea sex links are easy to determine gender with. So if poor Brenda keeps getting too beat up you might want to seperate her so she can heal. If it gets to were it wont stop she may have to be seperated for good or take out that aggressive hen.

Thanks a lot! I'll keep an eye on her. If she seems to be getting too beat up or does poorly, I'll separate her. She did seem to do better for a week or so, so I reckon it may be Gabby (I think she's the dominant..named "Gabby" with good reason!) only feels the need to exert her authority from time to time :)

Oh of course just like a roo would. Good luck, let us know how it goes
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom