Mourning the death of two of my girls

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ksbmom, Mar 27, 2009.

1. ksbmom

ksbmom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2008
    I looked out at my coop early this morning to see two of my girls (one RIR, one Ameracauna) lying on the ground. Apparently a raccoon managed to get into the coop last night and got my prettiest hen and one of my best layers. We never heard anything in the night! The kids and I had a burial this morning - my daughter made a "grave marker" and put flowers on the top of the grave. Thankfully we have four new chicks in the garage and I'm thinking of going to get two more. As my hubby said - it happens, but we're still a bit sad.

2. karen71

karen71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Bear, DE
    [​IMG]
    sorry for your loss .[​IMG]

3. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    Oh I am so sorry you lost your girls! I know these things happen, but it is never easy!![​IMG]

4. Hecate

Hecate Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2009
    Ohio
    Too bad - it's terrible to look out and see a chicken dead! My kids did the same whe we lost our first chick, and later a hen.

5. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    [​IMG] to you all. That's what my hubby says too, it happens. Well yes, but that doesn't mean I have to like it!

6. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    I'm sorry, I know how hard that must be.

Try and find where whatever it was got in and nail some hardware cloth/welded wire over the opening because "it" will be back.

7. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Many hugs to you & your familly. May your grief be short and your fond memories long.

8. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    aaawww bless their hearts. I am sorry you lost your girls. Find that spot they got in and reinforce it for sure.

9. maine chicks

maine chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    maine
    It is always sad when you loose some -glad you have some chicks-spring is here so you could get a couple to replace them and good luck.

10. KristaChickenWhisperer

KristaChickenWhisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    Lake Stevens, WA
    I am so sorry for your loss. I can relate to the feeling of walking out to a horrible sight like that. I walked out to find my gold star hens and my very much loved Pekin duck had gotten attacked by a raccoon. I was so devastated. I cried for hours that day...No one could console me...not my parents, brother or boyfriend. I was so sad. [​IMG]

*hugs* Once again I am sorry. I know how you feel and its horrible!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by