Mouse Breeders?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by rodriguezpoultry, Mar 8, 2012.

1. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I know I've seen mouse breeders on here! I've finally gotten some breeder mice and wanted to show/see pics of mice!!!

2. rodriguezpoultry

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Got the photos uploaded:
    Male:[​IMG]

Females:
    [​IMG]

The little orange one is a young buck.

Long-haired white female:
    [​IMG]

Setup:
    [​IMG]

3. SDragon

SDragon Out Of The Brooder

Jan 7, 2012
    What is the difference between breeder mice and other mice? What do you do with breeder mice? Can you keep a female and male mouse in the same cage?

4. rodriguezpoultry

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I'm sure there's a technical term...I call the ones I got breeder mice because I intend on breeding them. Feeder mice are used for feeding. My breeders' offspring will be feeder mice.

You can keep a male and female together, but you will get babies. Females can be housed together without an issue. Males tend to fight.

5. SDragon

Jan 7, 2012
    Ok Thanks for the info! I thought maybe there was mouse shows or something. If you don't mind me asking what are you going to feed with the mice?

6. Epona142

Epona142 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    Bedias, TX
    There ARE mouse shows ;)

I used to breed mice and rats for both feeders and show. I developed a shimmering long haired mouse. Pretty awesome.

7. rodriguezpoultry

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Yep! I'd like to go to one but that'll have to wait. I'd like to make a longhaired "orange" like the male up there. Hope it happens!

I feed layer crumbles, oats, oyster shells, cat food and now mice to the show birds. For some reason the animal protein makes them look so much better than a plant based diet. (they aren't allowed outside due to predation, so no bugs for them.)

8. SDragon

Jan 7, 2012

Wow I did not know that! Going to one would be lots of fun.

Ok thanks for the info. I would like to get a couple of female mice soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by