mouse eating chickens!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NewbyJan, Jun 29, 2011.

1. NewbyJan

NewbyJan Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2010
    Littleborough
    Has anyone else experienced their chickens catching and eating field mice whole!? We thought it was a one-off on Monday but the white sussex was witnessed today actually catching the mouse before fighting the frizzle for it (the frizzle managed to grab a leg) then the sussex swallowed the mouse whole!

Also, do you think the eggs will be ok to eat!!

I have photos of Monday's attempts to eat the mouse by the Frizzle who nearly choked on it!!

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Oh yes mine LOVE them!!! [​IMG] And yes the eggs will be fine to eat! It's just extra protein for the chicken!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  3. EncinoMan

EncinoMan Out Of The Brooder

Mar 11, 2011
    Encino
    Quote:I don't see why not. A mouse sounds like a terrific protein source to me! Okay, not for me personally...but for a chicken.

I've certainly heard of chickens eating mice, lizards and small snakes. Basically, anything small enough to eat that they can catch.

4. @FendiChick

@FendiChick Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2010
    It was so dry here in So. FL - a couple of weeks ago I noticed a few mice getting into my coop at dusk- so I put traps out but haven't caught anything. I don't want mice in the coop! I am sure this happens in nature but I just don't want to think about them eating my chickens' food and drinking their water. I wish they were mice-eating hens!

5. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    Yep, seen many a chicken eat mice, snakes, lizards, frogs, baby birds that have fallen out of nest. Just a source of protein to them.

I keep my feed in metal trash cans in my run (outside of the coop) and about once every two weeks I will lift them up and the hens quickly figured out it was a favorite spot for mice to build a nest and give birth. Just about every time a mouse has done just that and my hens gobble up the pinkies in a heart beat and usually are very good at catching momma too. [​IMG]

What's really amazaing is to watch a flock of hens surround, attack, kill and then eat a copperhead. I had a flock do this years ago, the whole process took a good 45 minutes to an hour but they got the job done.

6. caspernc

caspernc Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Z town NC
    I had a mouse in the hen house once. I saw where it got in and so did the hens. Now there seems to always be one hen guarding the opening. Now for frogs, we call it frog ball. kind of feel sorry for the frogs.

7. This_chicks_place

This_chicks_place Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Upstate NY
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. savingpurple

savingpurple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    Oh my....this was fun to read, but gross at the same time, as I had NO idea!!! LOL

9. debontheweb

debontheweb Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2011
    White Rock BC
    Definitely, they are omnivores and the living relatives of dinosaurs. Little velociraptors, actually.

10. the1honeycomb

the1honeycomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Yadkinville NC-3yrs
    [​IMG] who knew!!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by