Mouse in the house

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Daisygirl, Nov 16, 2009.

1. Daisygirl

Daisygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    New Zealand
    Ok, I come home from a long day and what do I find? My cat chasing a [​IMG] ing mouse down the hallway. I grabbed a container, caught the mouse and now have it sitting in the garage with a very dissapointed cat. What should I do???

2. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:For every one you see.......ugh!

Why are you asking us what to do?

3. Daisygirl

Nov 10, 2009
    New Zealand
    well I have a very sympathetic mum toward them, and she wants to 'release' it...dad wants to feed it to the cat/chickens. I just want to kill it in the most humane way possible, as it's going to die whatever route we take. I may just give it to the cat, as she is keen and might teach her not to bring it into the house next time...but my mum is a softie toward them [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  4. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Simple. Take it out back and just tell your mom that you released it. [​IMG]

That's what I'd do anyway. I kinda vaguely told DH that I let that last stray cat go.....and since he never goes out to the coop he didn't ask what the pile of bricks was for. [​IMG]
    I dunno how you'd kill a mouse quickly, never had that problem myself (my cats bring me DEAD stuff, which I guess has it's benefits). I hear drowning is a good way to die, but that's easier if it's already in a trap. You could wring it's neck, but you'd need heavy gloves for that. I think shooting it is a bit overkill [​IMG] I guess you could offer it some D-Con or TomCat bait and then dispose of the body where your cats can't get to it. That stuff kills fast, so I wouldn't feel bad about using it. I've seen em dead mere inches away from the bait station.

5. Daisygirl

Nov 10, 2009
    New Zealand
    Shooting...I can picture tiny shreds of fur all around the container [​IMG] . definite overkill.
    I think what'll probably happen is she'll sneak out in the dead of night and drop it over the wall... [​IMG]
    It's a gonner anyways. I've seen WAY bigger mice die because of bacteria on cats' teeth.
    Little brother just discovered the visitor. He wanted to know if we could keep it... [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Bait is a good idea, we don't have any tho...this is one of my cat's first mice and my other cat usually finishes them off for me before anything else happens. I don't think she KNOWs how to kill, as the other three she has brought in in the past few days have all been alive (i was asleep and mum let them go [​IMG] ) Hopefully it'll just die and there'll be no decision to make. Hopefully this is the last one she brings in alive [​IMG] .

What the hey, I'll just let it go. It'll probably be caught again, but I'll just let time play itself out. Thanks for advice [​IMG] . I'll use those as standbys if cat brings in any more.
    Daisygirl

Last edited: Nov 16, 2009
  6. Ryan81986

Ryan81986 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2009
    Chuck it in the run and let the chickens deal with it.

7. Iowa Roo Mom

Iowa Roo Mom Resistance Is Futile

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
    I wouldn't use bait if you have a cat...

8. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Or you can have a cat like I do.

You take a way the poor defenseless critter she has been harassing and release it. Only to wake up in the morning and find it's "parts" on the back step waiting for you.

9. Daisygirl

Nov 10, 2009
    New Zealand
    Quote:The cat who caught it wouldn't do that...her brother would

10. Daisygirl

Nov 10, 2009
    New Zealand
    Quote:There's a problem with that - - my brother's heart is set on keeping it - he's called it "mousie" and is feeding it bread as I type [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by