mouse killers

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by robinm609, Jan 19, 2017.

1. robinm609

robinm609 Just Hatched

Sep 7, 2016
    New Jersey, USA
    My Coop
    Today I witnessed my chickens kill and consume a mouse. A very brutal sight, as they pulled the poor little thing apart. Should I be concerned that they ate it? Can they get diseases from such behavior?

My outdoor cats catch and eat rodents all the time, without any ill-effects, but should I now worry about my chickens' health?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to the wonderful world of having a flock of velociraptors! The ills that *could* result are the same as those your cats may encounter - infections of parasites from the consumed mouse (ie worms). Really nothing to be concerned about and, short of confining the birds in a totally mouseproof enclosure, nothing you can prevent. Monitor the flock for parasite issues the same as you should anyway and treat if/when it becomes necessary.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Cats are probably more at risk from mammalian pests in/on mice than the chickens are.

4. Coyox

Coyox Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2016
    Belleville, MI
    I wish my chickens would forage mice. :p

1 person likes this.
  5. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Chickens LOVE mice!!

6. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Mine haven't gotten that memo yet. I lifted up the heated water bowl one day, two mice ran out right past a couple of my chickens and they just stood there and watched them go... My dog, however, at least makes an effort to catch them.

7. Weehopper

Weehopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2015
    A good way to get Cocci is from earthworms, as a matter of fact. They have dirt going through their bodies, and Cocci lives in dirt.

8. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    <scratcheshead> what does cocci and earthworms have to do with topic of mice?

1 person likes this.
  9. ejcrist

ejcrist Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2015
    Desert Hills, AZ
    Nothing at all to worry about. I catch mice in live colony traps and feed them to my birds - they love 'em. One time I was cleaning my RIR pens and found a whole nest of about 15 baby mice under a water fount and the birds gobbled them up in just a few seconds. I was able to skip the meal worm treat that day.

10. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by