Mouse made a burrow under the corner of my coop!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by sigmachigirl, Feb 4, 2014.

1. sigmachigirl

sigmachigirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2013
    HELP! I just saw a mouse this morning when I went to let my girls out!!! It actually came up and looked at me! ICK! Going to toss all the chicken food and water, but, what can I do to kill these dang things without harming my girls? I think I could probably tuck some poison in a corner, and then bury it's tunnel, do you think that would work? Or would that be unsafe?

2. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    You do not have to toss the food. Remove the feed and water at night. You could also get a vermin proof feeder.

Poisoning them is tough. I have had good luck using liquid rat poison. Rats to not have as much of an aversion to drinking liquids. They are very cagey around food baits. I put the water out during the night and pull it in during the day. I also make sure no rats have died where the chickens can eat the rat.

They sell liquid bait stations to keep dogs and cats out.

3. sigmachigirl

May 21, 2013
    Thank you! I will hang it from our roofline at night. I'm so grossed out. I will have to look for the liquid bait. The thing I'm worried about is my other animals as well. Worried that once I poison it my dogs or cats might get a hold of it. Not sure how quickly the bait works...

4. ronott1

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    It takes a lot of dead rats to kill a dog. It has a low secondary kill. Making sure the Dogs can't drink the bait is important though.

5. New Hampshire

New Hampshire Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2014
    New Hampshire
    You could shoot it with a BB gun if you see it again.

6. lularat

lularat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    NC
    There are also the live traps, in which the mouse goes in and can't come out. Then you won't have to worry with poison.

1 person likes this.
  7. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    What about a small animal cage trap, place baited mouse trap inside - mouse gets in, keeps dogs and cats out? We have caught 7 mice in our garage using Jif Hazlenut Chocolate - comes in a jar like peanut butter and is usually in the same area in grocery stores. It is the first food bait with which we have had this success. And if Dog or Cat gets the dead mouse then it is not a poison.

My husband found that the live mouse traps to miss catches. The sticky kind work but then you have to discard a live mouse.

8. sigmachigirl

May 21, 2013
    Awesome ideas!! Thank you! I will have to go back and get the trapping ones,. I bought a package of the ones to bait (probably with PB or your hazelnut idea!), and it's easy to dispose of the dead little things. I'd prefer not to see them though. I got the ortho traps as I had read the highest reviews for them. Guess I know what I'll be doing tonight!

9. taylorm17

taylorm17 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 29, 2014
    Poor little mouse. He just wants some peanut butter and chicken food! Just kidding. Hope you catch him easy enough. We had the same problem last year a mouse made a whole in our coop and I saw him eating food. I just let my cat in and let the chickens free range for the day while she prowled the grounds. I guess my cat did the trick. I have never seen a mouse or mouse turds again! Good luck!

10. ronott1

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    I am fairly sure mice do not burrow so that would be a Baby Rat. Where there is a burrow and one baby there will be a lot more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by