mouse people are making me feel stupid **RANT**

tinychicky

Crowing
14 Years
Mar 24, 2010
New Hampshire, U.S.A
so i'm pretty new to mice, i just got my first a few months ago and i though, well, i'll join a forum, learn some new stuff. so i joined one (i won't say which one but the people aren't as nice as on byc, certainly). introduced myself and told them about me and my mice. i said i had a buck in one cage and a doe in QT in another room . so everyone comes up and starts asking all this stuff I ALREADY TOLD THEM like you know you have to QT first (DUH, that's what i'm doing!!) and you can't put a buck and doe together without having babies (no, really?) and all this stuff and this one lady seems to be stalking me cause EVERY SINGLE THREAD I POST ON she answers too and either contadicts my advice or makes some snotty little comment about what i said and it's so annoying! i mean i'm not learning anything accept stuff i already know, like mice breed like, uhhh, mice, really you sure ?
he.gif
and i mean i do have some experience with wild mice, i've nursed several back to health and raised a few babies so it's not like i know NOTHING and i posted on a thread about someone who found a dehydrated, starving mouse and was trying to take care of it and i said give it some high fat seeds and nuts to give it quick energy and help it gain weight and make sure it's drinking plenty of water, give it some kind of nest box to make it feel secure and keep it warm. good advice, right? well some one else started argueing and said don't give it seeds or mouse pellets, give it a live cricket (how a weakened mouse is supposed to catch it i have no idea) and she said leave it alone instead of checking to make sure it's drinking (it's dangerously dehydrated, people) don't worry about keeping it warm it can do that itself (umm i don't think so) and don't give it a nest box. she didn't even specify why! and then i posted back saying umm i don't think that's correct and she said i was giving "very harmful advice" well i don't see how!!
tongue.gif
and then everyone on there patronizes me by calling me "hun" which i really, really can't stand
somad.gif
i also said to keep it away from your pet mice, assuming they had pet mice because they were on a PET MOUSE FORUM, so it doesn't spread disease or parisites and this stupid person said the poster didn't have mice. how was i supposed to know that??? how does SHE know that??????? she also said mice don't carry diseases, really lady where are you getting your info from ANYTHING can carry diseases
barnie.gif
i think i'm going to stop using that forum so i don't have anyone else STALKING me and contradicting EVERYTHING i say
smack.gif

Mice are SO cute. We had some for pets when I was a kid. We bought 2 females (so no babies, right?) one was pregnant and they multiplied to 52 by the end of the year. We kept the males and females in separate cages but somehow the males would get out and ...well....you know....
The cats kept getting out of the bathroom and kept the population down...sneaky kitties..we know how they got out of the bathroom but we never could figure out how they got the door in the hall open...
tongue.png

I understand your frustration. Not all forums are created equal. I'm sorry you have had such a bad experience with the posters on there. Let's just hope they never get chickens.

What???? Mice BREED and have babies??? REALLY? That is new information and i must leave now to process that.

What kind of mice?

Sorry about that forum and those people, but obviously you're not the one who is stupid.

I had some mice as a teen... Different colors and I ended up with one litter of adorable tri-colors!!
love.gif

So what kinds of other mice are there? Any extra fluffy ones?

This is one reason largely avoid forums that are not more general in nature. BYC is a rare exception because of the way it is moderated. Haha, you can try to educate, always a noble venture, but don't be surprised when some just continue to deny and repeat themselves even if offered the most meticulous evidence. You get this in real life too, but at least online you can walk far, far away. XD I just pretend that such people are all six years-old, because I get too depressed when adults make statements such as "mice can not carry diseases".
gig.gif

Most other forums are pretty much a free for all and you can get some really, really nasty people on there. Horse forums are the WORST! (Just look at how quickly a horse thread can go downhill on BYC!) I tend to stay away from most other places except a few friend-made forums.

I have kept and bred mice for years, and African Soft Fur rats too.
Perhaps you should leave the "well meaning" forum and find another one.
I ended up being banned from a horse board because the Mods decided to give me a little nick name that I didn't care for.
I had one I wrote up for myself that was given to me on another horse board that was funny and light hearted.
Simply asking them to remove it and give me my old one back... it led to a rather strong discourse , and me being banned.

And yes its easy for a wild mouse to give a "tame" mouse a disease that can kill them OR infect what you might feed your mice to.

**hugs**
Carol

OMGosh I hate it when people call me hun or sweetie too! I hated it when I was a kid, a teen, etc and now that I am well into my forties I figure I have earned the right not to be patronized like that! But alas I live here in the south now and it seems EVERYONE calls you hun or sweetie....then I started thinking about it and I am wondering if that is some kind of way of referring to some one as a female dog. I know I nevered called anyone Ma'am unless they were seriously annoying and it was better than calling them what I really wanted to call them. Which is tough because, my kids are expected to say Yes, ma'am or no ma'am rather than yes thankyou or no thankyou and they get called out on it everytime in school.

I feel for you....

As for the do you know mice breed (duh!!!)

My brother in law informed me last year that if I got a rooster (I have 7) my chickens would breed and I would be up to my earlobes in unwanted chickens....I just looked at him for a moment ( really?) and asked him how that could possibly happen since I collect the eggs everyday? Some people, I am learning, are ignorant nitwits and yet they do feel entitled to give advice - you don't have to take it. I should have just stayed quiet but at the time it was just sooooo funny. So now that I have, um, 40 something chickens....He claims to be right but I wanted everylast one of those chickens and I made the decisions to order them or to let my broodies hatch them - there were no unplanned unwanted chicken pregnancies in my pen! LOL

Hang in there mouse girl!
Caroline

Back
Top Bottom