1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

mouse trap trick

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by leonphelps, Dec 8, 2011.

1. leonphelps

leonphelps Songster

May 15, 2011
    Bucks County PA
    Hello,

I figured out something the past few days about mouse traps....if you smear peanut butter under the place for the bait as well as on top, you will have a way better success rate.

I was having traps get robbed every night, 5-6 traps a night. Then I started smearing it under the bait plate as well as on top, now have gotten 25 mice in the past week.

Just wanted to pass this along.

2. Quote:Good info, Leon. Should be usefull to a lot of folks........Pop

3. homesteader wannabe

homesteader wannabe In the Brooder

Sep 20, 2011
    Northern NJ
    I'll have to pass that on to my hubby- he uses pb too, but sometimes has the traps raided!

Just a quick 2 cents- have you seen the new black plastic mouse traps? They are just a simple spring loaded clip-looking contraption. We both love them for ease of use (easy to set, release, and reset) and the fact that so far we haven't had any bait thefts. I just put a grain or two from the chickens' scratch in the bait well. Even I can use them without being afraid of snapping my fingers off!

4. leonphelps

leonphelps Songster

May 15, 2011
    Bucks County PA
    I have used the plastic ones too. They seem to be less effective the second and third times. and YES I have used peanut butter with them and they have been robbed too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by