Mouse under the coop

PippinTheChicken

Dr Pippino Chickino 🐣
Premium Feather Member
Mar 19, 2021
UK
My Coop
My Coop
I was out in the run this morning when I saw a little mouse peek out from under the coop.
My chickens didn't seem to notice, and I doubt a little mouse THAT small could cause any big problems like stealing eggs or injuring the chickens.
I do have 2 hens raising little chicks though.
What do I do?

Emelyn

Songster
Mar 14, 2021
New York
I was out in the run this morning when I saw a little mouse peek out from under the coop.
My chickens didn't seem to notice, and I doubt a little mouse THAT small could cause any big problems like stealing eggs or injuring the chickens.
I do have 2 hens raising little chicks though.
What do I do?
You can get mouse poison (fish flavored it attracts mice) and after they eat it they die

Emelyn

Songster
Mar 14, 2021
New York
I don't want to buy mouse poison in case the birds eat it
Did the mouse create any holes? Stuff it in there with a stick so your chickens can't get it or you can get a HAVAHART mouse trap (I've used it before and it's extremely great! I've gotten a bunch of animals in them!) here's a link for one Havahart Mouse Trap

If you do use it make sure to put peanut butter mice LOVE it a lot

Lacy Duckwing

Autistic Chicken Lover
Premium Feather Member
Nov 6, 2017
Maine
My Coop
My Coop
The mice come in, scare the birds, then steal the grain. They're a problem.

I have a cabinet in my coop that I set a Victor mouse trap in every day, and catch a mouse every day in it. It works great.

If a simple trap like that doesn't work for you, some do the bucket trap. Though I've never tried one, I hear they work well. ;)

Emelyn

Songster
Mar 14, 2021
New York
If a simple trap like that doesn't work for you, some do the bucket trap. Though I've never tried one, I hear they work well. ;)
lol I have a huge bucket in my garage (not meant for killing mice) and last year when I was cleaning out my garage I found 3 dead mice that looked liked they were dead for 2 days.

cmom

Hilltop Farm
14 Years
Nov 18, 2007
Florida
My Coop
My Coop
I have tried many things and now use bait stations. You can put the bait in a bait station and put the bait station in a pet carrier and then nothing but the mouse/rat can get to the bait. I have some in my barn which is right behind my coops up on shelves and mice and rats are good climbers and will find it. Good luck...

cmom

Hilltop Farm
14 Years
Nov 18, 2007
Florida
My Coop
My Coop
I had an infestation. There were some tunnels around outside of the coops and barn. I did not find any dead mice or rats. I assume they went into their tunnels and died. Good luck...

Top Bottom