mouse?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by babyrnlc, Nov 12, 2011.

1. babyrnlc

babyrnlc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    Ok so my 6 month old roo (maybe) just had a mouse, they were all chasing him for it. Then when he finally got away, he swallowed it down WHOLE.

Is this ok, and can it choke him, or impact his crop? It looked like a snake eating.

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

It's what they do, if they can catch them. No way is the chicken a vegetarian. They are dinosaurs plain and simple. Didn't you notice the satisfied grin that spread across that chicken's face?

3. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    Totally fine. My chickens eat them all the time and the only way they can eat them is whole because all the other chickens are trying to get it.

4. babyrnlc

babyrnlc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    Fred's Hens :

It's what they do, if they can catch them. No way is the chicken a vegetarian. They are dinosaurs plain and simple. Didn't you notice the satisfied grin that spread across that chicken's face?

Oh yeah he was happy. No I have to hope that this particular mouse was not in my house eating poison we put in the utility room. Maybe I should pull it up in case. My husband saw a rat in the dog food. I will not have rats in my house [​IMG]

5. Hobiedog

Hobiedog Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2011
    Lowell, MI
    I saw one of mine eat a small snake like it was spegetti. I also watched them eat frogs. Too funny!

6. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Quote:Oh yeah he was happy. No I have to hope that this particular mouse was not in my house eating poison we put in the utility room. Maybe I should pull it up in case. My husband saw a rat in the dog food. I will not have rats in my house [​IMG]

Perhaps try a rat zapper for in the house, clean, no blood, and work great..... We use one in our feed shed. Rat Zapper

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2011
  7. kittycooks

kittycooks Chillin' With My Peeps

We had a lot of frogs this year due to plentiful spring rain. They swallow them down whole! No warts sprouted, no handsome princes (roo?) and no problems with the eggs. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by