Mouse's new baby! *new pics of the baby*

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Ducklove334, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    Well, I finally got off my lazy butt, to go out and water the dogs/pig...and found it to be HOT today, well as I was walking around the duck pen, I heard a tiny peeping, and so I'm thinking, oook....thats not Jingo (wouldn't you believe, had the "baby QAUCK" since a week old?).

so I got into the pen, everyone else is abit on edge, ok, somethings up, they're usually NOT this jumpy, seriously everyone is ALL over the place,

so I pull back the wall to Mouses nest box (a cubby on wheels turned over with a board leaned on it with rocks holding it up, VERY country-rigged), and theres SAGE with a tiny little peeping mallard-looking baby. Mouses...second baby, little half sibling to Templeton, who's also Mouse's.Mouse only had one mallard egg,cause i kept taking them away because SAGE had started laying in there first, then Mouse went broody on her egg plus about 6 of sages eggs.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    anyways, about a week ago, Sage started to get really interested in Mouse's eggs,going so far as to sit on the nest while Mouse was out, maybe they had a plan [​IMG].

I'm not exactly sure WHO will finally play momma to these babies, Sages 3, or 4 remaining eggs have yet to hatch, I'm hoping they'll start tomorrow.

In a perfect situation, the mallard baby would go off with Mouse, and Sage would stay on the rest of the eggs, but these ducks are WIERD [​IMG]

plus Sage has planted herself, and doesn't even move when I bother her, Mouse just looks happy to be able to stretch her legs LOL

heres the momma, Mouse, whether or not she's proud, I dunno LOL
    [​IMG](you can see possibly-proud daddy, Jacobi going through his sex-change LOL, he swears he'll be a boy again by next spring LOL, but he may not be the father, I havn't had a chance to see if baby is pure or not.)

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  2. schoebel_taylor

schoebel_taylor Songster

Jun 11, 2009
    Central Wisconsin
    I want some now![​IMG]

3. Ducklove334

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:then geeeet some LOL *wishes we had a swirly hypo-thingy smilies*

I'm curious to see how everyone will act with babies in the pen, I'm only really worried about the geese and mmuscovy drake.

4. I would try to separate them with that combination of guys in there, I hear they very often try to kill new babies!

5. Ducklove334

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    Unfortunatley I have no way to seperate them, Momma is "tame" but still hands off.

I got new pics!, Mouse had the baby out this morning, tought him how to drink, and he went for a 5 second swim, followed his girl-daddy Jacobi around, then back into the nest box for a nap LOL

BUT before that, he visited the chickens [​IMG], he had gotten through the fence, I guess looking for mom when she went into the nest box the first time, luckily I found him, because the turkies were eying him up

[​IMG]

the only time I'll probably ever get to hold him

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    GAHHH, I said she was "hands off" !!, never mentioned that she wanted to TAKE my hand off [​IMG]

I took a short video, wich by then she REALLY wanted to kill me
    View My Video

I mean she REALLY wanted to kill me LOL, see at the end, she gets ready to charge me hahah

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: