1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mouth breathing and can't walk

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sparrowchic, Feb 11, 2013.

1. sparrowchic

sparrowchic Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2011
    douglasville, ga
    My 5 month old Andalusian began mouth breathing (no wheezing) about 1.5 weeks ago. Then last week, she started falling over when she tried to walk. Now, she just lays in her cage and wiggles around when she wants to move. She's eating fine and laid her first egg 3 days ago. Someone thought it might be mites. Any ideas??

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Have you gotten any new chickens in the past few months? Or get her?

3. sparrowchic

Nov 19, 2011
    douglasville, ga
    yes. she and an easter egger are 'new'. i got them the first week of december.

4. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    She lays eggs? Wow, usually sick chickens don't lay.
    I would be watching the other one too.
    It's really hard to know what's wrong. She may have ate something wrong or had an aspiration. She may have heart failure. But I would also be thinking of Marek's. I had some young ones a few years ago that started making this gasping all the time, then couldn't walk.
    You may want to send her for a necropsy when she passes away. State run animal disease labs are very reasonable , if not free.

If you want more chickens, it's safer to order day old hatchlings that have been vaccinated for Marek's, or incubate your own and vaccinate. Whether it's Marek's or not. It's more risky to buy a chicken here and a chicken there. I know the temptation is there, it has tempted me too. Please update on her. [​IMG]

5. sparrowchic

Nov 19, 2011
    douglasville, ga
    Thanks! She's been on her back most of the day. It's just pitiful to watch. Fortunately, my original 6 were all vaccinated. Yes, I got these from a member of my chicken group, so I wasn't as concerned since I know several others that have gotten chickens from her. I'll let you know.

6. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I think you will have to decide when quality of life has come to an end. I'm not sure if a chicken can recover from those symptoms, they are already severe. [​IMG]

7. sparrowchic

Nov 19, 2011
    douglasville, ga
    We put her down today. I couldn't watch it an longer. Thanks for the advice.

8. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    I am so sorry that your chicken was so ill... I commend you for your action in ending her life... a selfless act....

Thinking of you

Suzie
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by