Sophijo97

In the Brooder
Nov 1, 2020
Hi all,
I have a one year hen who has been mouth breathing constantly. At first we thought it was heat related but she mouth breaths all day and night and the weather has been in the 70s. Her comb is maybe slightly paler than normal but she has been eating, drinking, sleeping, laying eggs and pooping as usual with maybe some lethargy. Any idea what this could be or how to fix it? There is no noise associated with her mouth breathing and her breath does not smell bad. Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    906 KB · Views: 77
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    588.5 KB · Views: 18
Have you treated for worms? Worms can sap the energy and strength of any chicken. The gasping for air is typically a sign of gapeworms, though gapeworms are relatively rare in chickens. Beyond that, I hope others chime in here with their far more expert opinions.

She may be fine too. Chickens cool themselves by mouth breathing, and she may be more susceptible to warmer weather than other chickens. Like people, she may be hot at 70 degrees, while the next chicken isn't hot until 85 degrees...

If it is hot a couple of mine will breathe through their mouth and hold their wings out

One of started gulping for air because fluid was filling up her abdomen and pushing on her air sacs. The fluid would have eventually suffocated her had it not been drained.

Point being there could be more than one possibility and it can be frustrating trying to figure it out.

Maybe upload a video would help others see it.

Back
Top Bottom