Mouth breathing & walking like a penguin

pawprint2104

Songster
10 Years
Oct 21, 2010
SF Bay Area
Help. Are there any BYC'ers in the Pinole/Hercules area that would be willing to examine my chook and give me some advice about her? I kinda thought she was egg bound, but she doesn't fit all the symptoms. She is definitely heavy in the back end. I palpated her and compared her to her chookmates. She seems a little full back there, by comparison. She hasn't laid in nearly 6 months. I see what I believe is fresh poop from her behind, so I don't think she's ummmmm "constipated". If she was egg bound, I've read they don't last more than 48 hours, and their back end looks extremely red, swollen, wet and bad. Hers doesn't. Just warm and firm. But, she's been looking ill for about a week and not deteriorating quickly, so I don't know what to make of it.

I thought if one of our more experienced flock members could look at her, they could make an informed decision. Is there anyone nearby? I can bring her by tomorrow or Thursday late afternoon. Also, Friday.

Help

she could be egg bound, i had a hen that lasted a WEEK with egg bound. to be on the safe side you should: separate her in wire cage or box, you can give her electrolights, sometimes i give the sick ones medicaded chick food. you can also soak her bum in really warm water for twenty mins and then blow dry her. hope this helps!

Peritonitis, maybe?

Further research seems to point in this direction.

Any advice or someone nearby to take a look at her? Please.

Here is a video showing her walking. Her abdomen feels warm and full. I compared her to the others and she's definitely not right. Help

Awwww....poor girl! I hope someone local can help you out. I read another thread on here a few days ago, a hen someone thought was egg bound but turns out her abdomen full of unformed eggs and extra fluid and the hen was culled at the direction of the vet. I don't recall a diagnosis given, though.

Obviously, a chicken can't be diagnosed via the internet. I relented and took her to my vet. She quickly recognized her as having collected fluid in her cavity due to a suspected tumor. She aspirated the fluid and confirmed her diagnosis. I learned a lot about chicken biology today. I, now, know the difference between peritonitis, egg bound, and collected fluid. The fluid suppressed her air sacs (lungs) and weighed her down which slowed her down, made her mouth breathe and changed her gait. She recovered quickly upon draining the fluid, and is doing well at home tonight. See the video :)

Unfortunately, the tumor diagnosis is grim. All I can do at this point is provide supportive care and prepare for a comfortable escape when she's ready to go. But, happily today is not that day.

Thanks for your reply, Iheartnh. I appreciate you and KrakowPolish trying to help me. I am very happy to report Xena is doing great for now and moving gracefully through the yard. I don't know how much time she has, but I'll try to manage her condition until it seems like her quality of life is deteriorating.

Back
Top Bottom