mouth breathing

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by artsyrobin, Jul 22, 2010.

1. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    I have a cochin banty that breaths through her mouth, i had her on tylan for sneezing and gurgling, here is a pic- wondered if this is normal? here is a video too

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. tyty003

tyty003 New Egg

Jul 22, 2010
    My hen Milly does that too. It's normal she lays perfectly fine eggs and she is very healthy. They do that to cool off. Don't worry, it's normal.

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Right now, I see all my chickens doing that mouth breathing....I think it helps cool them off in this 80-90 degree heat. She looks healthy........Tylan should work, but I think you should only use it for 10 days. I had one chicken with a cold once.....she gurgled and sneezed (right in my face once--eww). I put her on Duramayacin (it's a weaker antibiotic) and I put her in a cage in the basement, and I also ran a vaporizer on her with vicks! I truly though she would die, but she's all better now! One of my favorite EEs.

4. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    The heat makes them do this but I did have a few sick birds that did this to so I fogged the coop and birds all with Oxine. good luck!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by