mouth injury (pic)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pearsjd, May 30, 2008.

1. pearsjd

pearsjd Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2007
    N. Central AL
    One of our 6 wk old chicks has a mouth injury.The inside of the mouth has what appears to be cut. She is eating and drinking fine. Any advice as to what to use on her?-Susan

[​IMG]g]

2. pearsjd

pearsjd Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2007
    N. Central AL
    Anyone ?[​IMG]

3. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I've not come across this before...
    Did you shoot of an email/pm to Dlhunicorn?

4. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    Canker...

5. Sparrow

Sparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    It looks like an abcess. I've never treated an abcess in a chicken's mouth, but possibly you can find some information about it online? If the inside of her mouth is cut, she probably developed an infection pocket around it.

6. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    Abscess in a bird will not reabsorbed but must be removed manually:
    http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10370_12150_12220-26357--,00.html
    "....Abscesses formed in mammals generally contain white, green or yellow creamy material whereas, because of the high body temperature of birds, their abscesses generally have a caseous (cheesy) exudate, are walled-off and are painless. An abscess may be acute or chronic, focal or multiple, and may range in size from microscopic to unlimited dimensions. An abscess occurring on the footpads of avian species is called bumblefoot.....
    ...Pus from an abscess found in a canid is usually of a thin and watery consistency while an abscess from a ruminant has viscid pus. Avian pus is usually dry and caseous due to the presence of an antitryptic enzyme.....

....In mammals the effects of an abscess are generally non-existent, as the material is usually localized...In birds the abscess must be opened and the accumulated pus scraped out manually. The abscessed area should then be cleaned with an antiseptic solution and wound medication placed on the site...."

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by