Mouth injury swollen :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by meaf, Jan 1, 2017.

1. meaf

meaf New Egg

Jan 1, 2017
    It's completely my fault he crows a lot and I put a rubber band around his neck area to stop him and it usually does and the problem begins when he picks it up with his beak and it gets stuck like this [​IMG] and it's usually fine I just take it out when he does but I tried to stop that by putting a loose thick scrunchy which was fine until he did the same thing! So he had a huge scrunchy just stuck in his mouth and to make it even worse I thought it'd be ok so I went to sleep so he had that in for hours probably :( now it's swollen and his mouth won't close and I don't know what to do
    [​IMG][/IMG]I purchased a no crowing collar the other day as well so I won't have this problem anymore

2. meaf

meaf New Egg

Jan 1, 2017
    [​IMG]

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I wouldn't recommend doing what you did, but what is done is done. Fortunately, the injury doesn't appear too serious (to me, at least). The swelling is probably due to irritation/rubbing/constricting by the scrunchy, and should go down in a few hours to a day or so. If he seems to be having trouble eating, I would offer some moistened chicken feed or something else soft, like scrambled eggs. Otherwise, there is nothing you can do except wait.

1 person likes this.
  4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! Can you post some pictures of the inside of his mouth?

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by