Mouth open while making noise -- normal?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GGchick, May 27, 2010.

1. GGchick

GGchick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2010
    Hi, I'm a new chicken mommy so I'm learning something new everyday. My four 9-week-olds have been in their coop since the weekend and the first couple nights they were making all kinds of new sounds and scrambling around, which I figured was part of working out a pecking order for their sleeping arrangements. They seemed to have worked it out and last night they were all on the roost together making these cooing noises, which sounded so sweet and contented but I noticed one was making noises with her beak open -- not like chattering where her beak would open and close -- it just stayed open, about halfway. Is that normal? Was she in distress? ...I am worrying about everything as I get to know them more and more!! Thanks for any feedback!

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Ventilation is the first thing that pops in my head.. How is your coop setup?

3. GGchick

Apr 12, 2010
    It's well ventilated but it has been hot here this week. It was proably about 85 in the coop when I saw this. There are two windows on joining sides, two vents on the wall across from one of the windows, and a roof vent. It's been about 90 outside during the day and she's been out and acting normal.

4. GGchick

Apr 12, 2010
    Hmm, just had another thought--everyone was squished together and she was at the end with the wall on her other side. Maybe she was too hot with everyone squished together?

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

It does sound like a heat thing. It's been around 90 and sunny here the past few days, and my girls will often hold their wings out and kind of "pant" through an open beak. It's hot in my coop too...I'm getting a small fan this weekend to mount in there to get better air circulation going.

6. GGchick

Apr 12, 2010
    OK thanks! I've been worrying all day and this makes me feel better. I just want to get home from work and check on her. (Yes I'm secretly on this site while working!) She did have her wings sort of puffed out too, so I hope that is all it is. Thanks for your input!

7. mychookschick

mychookschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Maine
    yeah it was definitely a heat issue... my hens all where "panting" and holding their wings out the last 2 days because it was like 90 degrees. she wil be fine. My chickens go into the barn when they are hot because we have sort of a "daylight basement" barn setup and they live in the basement so it stays pretty cool in there... any way a fan will help a lot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by