mouth opening and closing as if try to breath or swallow

sandraconvery

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 22, 2008
ireland
es i have concentrated on the chickens and noticed to last two days two
sad.png
sitting fairly still most time but one big thing they are doing is keep opening and closing there mouth as if they were trying to swallow but not eating or drinking with head tilted up and then they both died . so it must be disease but what is it i wonder . there was nothing wrong with my flock untill i got new chickens then they started dying one by one. can i stop it spreading if someone would have a idea what it is and how to treat.
Online:cd:hit

Gape worm acts a little slower, i think. but not sure. they are worms in the throat that make it stretch its neck to breath.

something this fast and gasping for air sounds respiratory. this link may help. there are better ones out there but it might help: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

are
the chickens you brought in dying? or is it the ones you had before?

Quote:
YES IT ONLY STARTED WITH NEW ONES I BROUGHT IN NOW SPREAD TO MY BABY CHICKS I NOTICED ONE NEW ONE DOING IT THEN FOUND HER DEAD IN HOUSE 2 MORE IN GARDEN COUPLE DAYS LATER THOUGHT COCK OR PECKING ORDER BUT NOW SEENING THEM GASPING KNEW SOMETHING ELSE.
SO CAN I SEE THE WORMS QUITE CLEAR ILL CHECK OUT LINK THANKS A MILLION.
wink.png

To check for gapeworm, carefully rub the end of a cotton swab in the throat (you'll need help of course). If it's gapeworm, you'll see red fork shaped things on the swab.

Good luck!

Quote:
YES IT ONLY STARTED WITH NEW ONES I BROUGHT IN NOW SPREAD TO MY BABY CHICKS I NOTICED ONE NEW ONE DOING IT THEN FOUND HER DEAD IN HOUSE 2 MORE IN GARDEN COUPLE DAYS LATER THOUGHT COCK OR PECKING ORDER BUT NOW SEENING THEM GASPING KNEW SOMETHING ELSE.
SO CAN I SEE THE WORMS QUITE CLEAR ILL CHECK OUT LINK THANKS A MILLION.
wink.png

You can see the worms? eeeks. if you can see them using the method DaniLovesChickens suggests above, go to tractor supply. they sell fenbendazole for horses or goats. it is a tube of green/white. can remember the name. put a dab on something they'll eat, ex: crumb of bread).

or this stuff will work - http://www.tractorsupply.com/equine/horse-wormers/intervet-panacur-paste-25-g-5122970

google
, "fenbendazole ________." substitute the "___________" for the nearest feed store in your area. or just call them

but make sure it is gapeworm or you'll loose more

the link i gave above is for illnesses and diseases, like the flu or congential disorders. not gapeworm.

I just posted something similiar, are they really lethargic as well? I took mine to the vet she said bacterial infection and put mine on antibiotics. Hope you figure out what's causing it!

Back
Top Bottom