Mouth wound on cockerel - Updated with necropsy results

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Happy Chooks, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    This morning I noticed my barnevelder cockerel had a strange, crusty appendage sticking out the side of his mouth. When I opened his mouth, I found this:
    [​IMG]

I'm off to get some penicillin for him. Any other ideas on what to do to help him?

2. OR4-hmom

OR4-hmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Grants Pass, OR
    I'm wondering if he got something wedged in there, like oat. Looks kinda like a fox tail on my dogs toe.

3. debs_flock

debs_flock Overrun With Chickens

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    Kelly, I'd try to get as much of the crust cleaned off as possible with a Q-tip in saline. Then I'd probably dab it with Vetricyn, preferably the gel. Just put it on with a Q-tip also. I think the Pencillin systemically is the best plan. It looks almost like an abcess of sorts.

Try sending a copy of the photo to Dawg53, I've heard he is a great help with health issues. Did you look in the Health Handbook?

Deb

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  4. debs_flock

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    Is there swelling to the side of the face?

5. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yes, and it's warm to the touch.

6. debs_flock

Sep 14, 2011
    Shingle Springs, CA
    Swelling and warm sounds like an abcess, probably from an injury. The norm would be to flush it out, but you can't really do that without risking drowning the bird. I'd try to swab it out.

I looked in the health handbook, under mouth sores, brown, crusty, in the corner, it listed pox. But it also listed it as very rare, so it wouldn't be my first choice of dx. It also doesn't really match the photo of the advanced case. Like I said, the swelling and heat would lead me to infection. You might also try holding a hot, wet cloth to the side of his head several times per day.

Good luck.

Deb

7. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I got the penicillin in him, thankfully he didn't even flinch. I was able to clean out the area of his mouth and get some of the dead skin wiped away with Q tips. ) I didn't find anything imbedded in there. It looks like he had some sort of injury to it though, it looked almost like it had been sliced. He hadn't eaten, so I gave him a cooked egg and he scarfed it down.

I'll give him another injection tomorrow and see how he does. [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  8. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    It's certainly infected. I will try the hot cloth, though he's not an easy one to catch.

9. Happy Chooks

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    He got his 2nd injection last night. The swelling on the side of his face is still the same, but the inside of his mouth looks a little better. I was able to clean it up with some water and Q tips and get some of the dead tissue chunks removed. I didn't see anything imbedded in there. He had food in his crop last night, so that's a good sign. We'll see how it goes from here.

10. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    gosh, I know not much about pox, but I feel like I've seen pictures of it before and it's crusty looking "lesions" of sorts. Are you sure it's not fowl pox? I'm sure it must not be, as if it was, I believe you'd have more than one with it.

Does he seem to be feeling better, Kelly? Is he eating yet?

Did you look with a magnifying glass? Anyone else in the flock with issues?

Whatever it is, I'm so glad that you found it in time to get him some help!

ETA - great pic, by the way. Maybe you can post an updated pic with the scab removed?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by