movable coop/run design questions

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by suburbanoutlawchick, Aug 18, 2011.

1. suburbanoutlawchick

suburbanoutlawchick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 18, 2011
    Hi everyone! I'm a total newbie here, waiting on my first 6 EE peeps to arrive sometime this week. I would like to design an attached coop/run that could be moved daily for the hens to have access to fresh grass. When building portable housing, do I still need to follow the 10 sqft of outdoor space/bird rule? I was thinking about building the run out of 2x4s and hardware mesh to be 4'x12'x3' with the coop above 1/2 of it (4'x6'x3'). Will this be big enough? Will it be too heavy to move? I've been looking through dozens of designs and posts here, but would also love to have some feedback on my idea. Thank you [​IMG]

2. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

[​IMG] from San Diego

First of all six chickens need sixty square feet of run space. twelve by three is thirty six. not set in stone just the numbers.

WRT being too heavy. A quick estimate would be to figure out how much a two by four weighs and estimate how many full two by fours you will use building the coop.

according to this http://www.csgnetwork.com/lumberweight.html a two by four weighs a pound and a half per linear foot. therefore a two by four weighs twelve pounds.

Four lenghts of twelve feet is 48 linear feet.... is sixty pounds. Thats not counting the vertical supports or the wire or the plywood. Its going to need some wheels.

Is it possible to just build a nice run dedicated to the girls at twelve by six with a coop built in and just let them free range in the yard while you are there? That would be my own personal chioce.

There are other materials you can build a tractor out of besides plywood. Like PVC.... It has its own issues for sure. just a couple of random thoughts before I go to bed

3. suburbanoutlawchick

Jul 18, 2011
    Thanks for the info [​IMG] The run space I was considering was actually 4'x12' (and 3' high)= 48, so 8 per bird. I was wondering if that would be adequate since they would be moved daily to fresh grass. I would love to free range them, but chickens aren't exactly legal in our neighborhood and we live 3 houses down from the municipal building. LOL

4. zookeeper15133

zookeeper15133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    SW PA
    Building a coop and run that large will be very heavy. How about building your coop over a 4x6 run in 1 piece (definitely add wheels). Then build a 4x12 run that you can attach. That will give you plenty of room. Look here on coop designs under tractors, even if you don't like the design, you can get tips on building and attaching the run. Here is one that has an easy attachable run.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=22688-kycklingars-4x10-tractor

You could use dog snap clips on the turnbuckles to make it easily detachable.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
  5. suburbanoutlawchick

Jul 18, 2011
    Great idea, zookeeper! Where is SWPA are you located? I'm just north of Pittsburgh (Franklin Park).

6. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Quote:sounds great....

7. zookeeper15133

zookeeper15133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    SW PA
    Quote:I'm SE of Pgh, Elizabeth area. Small world!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by