Movable run design help?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by hcammack, Jan 18, 2009.

1. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Hi,
    My coop is movable and I am even adding new wheels on it. Right now I am using two PVC runs that I made and they are not working very well the chickens are finding ways to get through and they are not secure against predators. The PVC runs are also falling apart right now I may need to put some PVC glue in the hinges to make it work but would rather redesign the whole thing or build a new run or use fencing. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for a new movable fence or run setup that can be moved by one or two people? It has to be big enought for about 15-17 birds right now I have 14 hens/ pullets and one cockeral they are all LF. So if needs to be about 150sqft. What type of setup do you think makes the most sense?

Here are some pictures of the current setup:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Thanks,
    Henry

Last edited: Jan 18, 2009
  2. big greg barker

big greg barker Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    central maine
    I am building a couple movable cages to use in my garden this spring, and the idea may work for you, too. Get some 1 x 3 strapping from Home Depot or Lowes, etc. Also a few 2 x 4s.
    Use these to make a cage and cover it with the chicken wire you have. It will be more durable than what you have. I will give you step by steps if you want.

3. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Quote:Thanks I am trying to picture what you are talking about I guess a few more specific steps might be helpful [​IMG]

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Henry, do a search in the meat bird section on "hoop tractors" or "cattle panel tractors". You will find examples of what you're looking for.

Pat

5. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Quote:Thanks so far I have come up with three options: cattle panels on long metal posts, Electro net (I need my parents to spot me $), or fixing up the PVC runs or making new cattle panel tractors.

You have been so helpful with this!
    Henry

6. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    When I visit farms, the one thing I seem a lot of is abandoned chicken tractors. It's a lot of work moving birds in such a small space daily. It does get old, even when you're getting paid to raise the birds.

I really recommend going with the poultry electronetting. You then need only provide a wind-break shelter for them, rather than a secure house. A 160' roll gives you a 40x40 pen,w hich means you are moving the birds every 3rd or 4th day rather than daily. This makes a HUGE difference to me.

7. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Quote:I am just now reading up on the electro net and I am defently thinking about investing in it right away. where do you get yours? I am thinking about premiere. The daily moving is a bit much and I would much rather use the elector net even if I am still using a solid coop for shelter for my birds.

Thanks,
    Henry

8. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
  9. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
  10. hcammack

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Quote:Thanks I do have a large chicken tractor already I just really don't like them that much and it would be difficult for 15 birds. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by