Movable run with foxes - wishful thinking?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MamaInPajamas, Apr 1, 2015.

1. MamaInPajamas

MamaInPajamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2015
    Minneapolis, MN
    I was really hoping to be able to make a movable run for my chicks, but we have foxes that moved into the neighborhood. Everything I've found on building fox proof runs involved burying the mesh. Is it possible to keep them safe from foxes in a movable run? I'm looking at a used chain link dog kennel (covered). Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. Halkatla

Halkatla Out Of The Brooder

Can you fence off your garden/the area you are gonna move the run around in? Either with a sturdy fence thats buried into the ground, or an electric poultry fence (these are moveable too!), so that the actual run is more of a second line of defence rather than the primary one. Having a section in the tractor/moveable pen that has a floor and can be locked up at night seems good too.. like a little moveable house. Thats my plan :)

It might be possible to create a tractor that has netting going around it on the ground too, with some clever designing

3. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
  4. MamaInPajamas

MamaInPajamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2015
    Minneapolis, MN
    Thank you! I'll look into that. Do you know if it's OK around kids though?

5. bigmrg74

bigmrg74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2014
    Clinton Michigan
    Well, I grew up with electric horse fencing. I got zapped a few times, but I soon figured out to not touch that wire. I'm sure your kids are smart enough to not touch the electric fencing more than once. [​IMG]

Of course, it was also funny to get my city cousins to touch the wire as well. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by