Move a Broody - Give her Chicks?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by aghiowa, Mar 13, 2013.

1. aghiowa

aghiowa Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2010
    Hi all! I've got a first-time broody...my 11 month old cochin has taken it upon herself to brood on the floor (with no eggs under her) right in front of the coop door. I also have some Barneveleder chicks coming later this week. I was thinking that it'd be nice to have the broody raise them, if possible.

But, I can't have her brooding chicks right in front of the door with no protection. Can/should I move her to a safe location (large Rubbermaid bin in my basement) NOW, or wait till the chicks arrive? Do I give her some temporary unfertile eggs to "trick" her until the chicks arrive? And when the chicks come, assuming I've moved her successfully and she is still broody, what is the best way to graft them onto her? I was thinking to let her hear them for a few hours, and then when it's dark, slip them under her and remove the eggs?

Thanks!
    Angela

2. 3BirdGirlz

3BirdGirlz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2013
    Montana
    I'd put some "dummy" eggs under her in a nest box. See if she'll stay on them there and not on the floor. If she doesn't stay on the nest, then you might have to cage her so she's not in front of the door (my Cochins can be goofy too!) if she stays on the nest until your chicks arrive, put them under her and she'll probably think they've hatched and take care of them. But I have had Cochins not take care of chicks too and just stay brooding even without eggs! I guess as long as you can monitor her with the chicks, try it:) And I like to make sure no other chickens can pick on the chicks, and that the chicks can't get out of the pen. Good luck! Someone else here may have some more advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by