Move a Broody Hen???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by zinkie, Feb 10, 2014.

1. zinkie

zinkie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Southern NH
    Hello, So I have a hen who just went broody. She is in one of the favorite nests. I feel like I should move her. I have 10 girls and she is in 1 of the fav 3 nesting spots. I live in NH and it is still pretty cold here. My coop is about 20 or above and have used a heat lamp to help warm it up a bit. The coop is in the barn and the barn is not heated.

My question is... if I move her, my only option is in the cellar. I want to give her a quiet place.... but will she be lonely... and will it be harder to get her back in? If it was warmer, I could set something up in the barn, but it is too cold right now.

Any thoughts?

2. mindylee

mindylee Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2012
    Lapeer Michigan
    Do you by chance have qnother broody?

I always move my broodys in pairs or more to a birthing coop away from the rest of the flock. They always settle right in and do great. However I never had a single broody... always 10+ at once... so no shortages rou d here.

3. LRH97

LRH97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    I always move my broody, whether I have one or more. The single ones I have moved have always done alright and hatched out many clutches of chicks. She will mainly be concerned about hatching those eggs. I would take her out at least once to scratch around and dust bathe,however . Oh and make sure you have a place that you don't mind for her to use the bathroom on if you're putting her in the cellar, because you don NOT want her to go in the nest; it will be a gigantic mess.

4. zinkie

zinkie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2013
    Southern NH
    NO, I do not have another broody one. When you move them... are you close to the others or very far away?
    My big worry is moving her to the house away from the rest. Will it be hard to reintroduce her and the chicks?

5. LRH97

LRH97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    I introduce new birds all the time. Even though she's not new, the rest of the flock will view her as a new bird. I would wait until the chicks are at least fully feathered to even try to introduce them. After a few squabbles, everything should settle down, you'll just have to keep a close eye on things for a while.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by