move able stationary coop

SOMDcRAB

Hatching
6 Years
Aug 10, 2013
Hi,

I am a first time chicken owner and I am going to be building a new coop. i was wondering if i need to build the coop so it is moveable or stationary. The chickens are going to be free ranging, and the field that they are in is only about 4 acres.

also when figuring out the size of the coop. I would like to build the coop with enough room to house 2 dozen chickens. i was planning on building the coop 11 ft.long x 8 ft. wide x 6 ft. high. would these dimensions be sufficient to house 2 doz. laying chickens.

welcome-byc.gif

Yes you can make that size coop work for a couple dozen. You can even make it portable if you so desired. That is big so moving will be difficult but still possible.

Wish ya the best.

You have many options. If you desire you can build a "standard" (if there is such a thing) coop that rests on skids (4X12's or 4X6's) and pull it with your tractor. Or you can build a coop on a chassis so it will roll easily. Or you can always keep you coop stationary. Once your flock gets accustomed to your property they will stray a good bit to find bugs and such.

There is a coop page here on this site that gives ideas of what others are using. Your size you mentioned earlier would work. And of course you can design your coop to house big or small fowl.

Phil

Wow that's a big coop. I am planning on having my chickens permanently on about 100 square feet on my allotment. Whether you make it stationary or portable really depends what you want from them. They are free ranging so they will be on a certain peace of land whether the coop is there or not. If you are unsure about the final design of the land then yes a portable one would be good as you can move it to fit better with your designs. If you are wanting them to gradually work your soil for you then again a portable one would be good but if they are free ranging then they will be all over the place, not always on the specific area of land you wish to be worked.

However, if you are just wanting happy chickens who give you eggs then a stationary coop would be best for you. That way you just go out, clean, collect eggs, feed and done. No roaming miles first thing in the morning to let them out, no carrying heavy buckets of chicken turds a long way etc etc.

Back
Top Bottom