Move broodie and nest carton into garden room ?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Indigohills7, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Indigohills7

Indigohills7 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2008
    Bob-the-Hen was raised in this room and she loves to visit us in it. Prior to brooding she would come in every day to visit. She is my only hen at this time.

Eggs turn 21 on Friday the 13th.

Currently they are outside in our coop. The nest box is about 2ft off ground, and her nest is actually a soda pop cardboard flat.

My concern: chick falling over edge --- and it's cold here in Colorado at night.

I could put the nest and hen into the large dog cage in the garden room and throw a blanket over it to keep it dark & private.

Too overprotective ? Unlike incubators, my son and I wouldn't be able to "meet" the new chicks for a few days, and then I'd still have to figure out they get down.

Thanks

2. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Someone here on the forum just lost a chick to the cold out in a barn; it got caught somewhere and could not get back into the nest.

I personally would move her somewhere that the chicks would be safe. In fact, that's exactly what I am doing in two weeks with my own broody ~ moving her to ground level (the coop is heated). [​IMG]

Good luck!

3. Indigohills7

Indigohills7 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2008
    Thanks ... I was beginning to think that I am just "chicken silly." Although when I told people about trying to train "Bob" using blue berries, they just shook their heads.

The coop is unheated except for a shoplight. I do have a 250watt heat lamp. Last year I got Bob and her buddies when they were already 3 weeks old, so I just hung the shoplight on the outside of the dog cage.

Crossing my fingers!

4. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Should be fine. The chicks will hide under mama for warmth.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by