Move chickens from Florida to Michigan.... Can I do that?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bamitsbrittany, Dec 16, 2013.

1. bamitsbrittany

bamitsbrittany Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2013
    The title says it all! I am looking to move my flock from florida to michigan. I have a mixed group of chickens. They are free range chickens. I have 3 EEs, a barred rock, a cochin, a polish/sultan mix, a cochin/silkie mix, a RIR and a russian Orloff. They are all about a year old.

Thoughts?[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. PolkaDot77

PolkaDot77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2012
    Boise, ID
    I bet they would be just fine. How are you planning to travel? If they are in the car with you I bet they would be unhappy, but would make it okay. They seem friendly so you being with them would be comforting. I use a spray called Stress Stopper that is made by Jackson Galaxy (the cat behaviorist) that I spray on my chickens or in their water or in my hands and then pat them that calms them down right away after a dog runs through or when the scary lawnmower goes by their coop, etc.
    If you are to move them, though, be sure the check the livestock laws for all the states that you will travel through, since some states might require certain things, like a certificate of health or have restrictions, etc.
    Good luck!

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    What time of year do you plan on moving? Could make a huge difference in how you transport them and what kind of facility you'll need to have ready once you land in this great state.

Not sure if there are any restrictions to bringing poultry livestock into Michigan, best to check with the state ag department.

4. bamitsbrittany

Mar 22, 2013
    Im not worried about the travelling part.. I am worried about acclimating them... will they die because its cold. I don't plan on moving them during the winter time. They will be living on the horse farm and I am going to bring them in the car.. just like a dog. ;)

5. bamitsbrittany

Mar 22, 2013
    I dont want to have to sell them when we move. But I will if they will just die in MI. Not sure what breeds are ok in cold and what ones arent.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    If you bring them up during the summer they should be fine, they'll be glad to get out of the heat down there, they will acclimate and grow more feathers as the weather cools in fall.
    More chickens probably die from heat than from cold.

7. bamitsbrittany

Mar 22, 2013
    I have heard that they do better with cold over heat... Thanks! =]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by