move eggs or not to move eggs.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Rbl4life, May 15, 2011.

1. Rbl4life

Rbl4life Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    I have some eggs that are almost in the lockdown stage, and want to know if i could take them out of the incubator and into a hatcher, would that be ok? one more question, if the eggs have gone the 18 days laying on there side can i move them into egg cartons for lockdown|?

2. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    [​IMG] Welcome to BackYard Chickens! [​IMG]

Yes, you can move them into the hatcher! On day 18, you are supposed to move all the eggs into the hatcher. [​IMG]

And yes, it is OK to move the eggs into egg cartons. The position change will not hurt them.

Happy Hatching!

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  3. Rbl4life

Apr 30, 2011
    thank you!!

4. Rbl4life

Apr 30, 2011
    would it be better if i just leave them lay flat in the hatcher or put them in egg cartons?

5. ChickChick0811

ChickChick0811 Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2011
    I left all of mine flat, but the other chicks knocked them all over the place after they hatched. [​IMG] Never tried an egg carton.

6. Rbl4life

Apr 30, 2011
    im kinda on the fence with it, because when there laying flat like you said they get knocked around alot from the chicks that have already hatched. In a carton i think they would hatch and jump out and leave the aggs alone. but when there laying flat they can roll around more when there hatching. i dont know what to do

7. mstrawn3

mstrawn3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    Princeton, Texas
    It won't hurt them if the chicks roll them around a little. They will still hatch just fine. I've always laid them on their side and had no problems. [​IMG]

8. ScissorChick

ScissorChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2010
    Under Your bed
    We always lay them on their sides [​IMG]

Your choice, though [​IMG]

9. Rbl4life

Apr 30, 2011
    ya i decided just to lay them on their side, i was going to use cartons but than i thought it might be harder on chicks. I got some going on lockdown tonight! wish me luck!

10. Kbagwell1

Kbagwell1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    Augusta, GA
    They aren't in egg cartons under the momma! lol The eggs also get shuffled around quite a bit out there with momma too! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by