move eggs to keep them safe? PICS UPDATE

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 6mutts, Jan 24, 2009.

1. 6mutts

6mutts Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    St. Clair, MO
    hi i posted this on another topic, but didn't really get much response, so i thought I'd try here....

I have a broody hen who is sitting on three fertile ggs, well when i go check on her in the afternoon there are 6 more eggs under her! Are the other girls kicking her out to lay and then she goes back and lays on all of them? I am worried this could somehow hurt the eggs, from to much moving? I have to scoot the extra eggs out each day and then she scoots the fertile one back under (I THINK these three are fertile b/c they are from my mom's flock and she has a roo, i don't). Should I move the nest she is on to a different place and move an un-used nest in it's place in hopes that the other girls will use it? Or will she just try to lay on all of them? Sorry if this was a bit confusing!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  2. CarlaRiggs

CarlaRiggs Chillin' With My Peeps

The best thing to do would be to move your broody hen and the nest to another secluded spot. If she's broody, she won't be interacting much with the other chickens anyway. Can you fix something up within the coop you have now? If she can be near and see the other hens it will be better. But secure so the others can't enter into her space.
    All the broody needs right now is the chance to sit sit sit [​IMG] and occasionally get up to eat and relieve herself.
    I'd keep the other hens away from her nest.

Good luck with your hatch!

Carla

3. 6mutts

Oct 6, 2008
    St. Clair, MO
    Quote:i have been thinking of some way to seclude her, but i have a very small tractor, and if i closed part of it off, then she wouldn't be able to get outside in the run, i could put some water and food in the closed off part but doesn't she need to get some sunlight or something? i posted a pic of what i COULD do....keep in mind that it is freezing temps here in MO right now...
    [​IMG]

4. CarlaRiggs

I can see how your choices are limited; however, if you want to keep her broody with some eggs to hatch, you'll have to limit the nest to her only.
    I'd try to enclosing the small area.... as long as she has good ventilation it should be fine. Most hens would naturally find a secluded spot in which to hide while hatching eggs. You may have to give her an opportunity to get down and stretch her legs a couple of times a day. I wouldn't worry about her not getting enough sunlight; she'll be fine. Some hens will practically starve themselves to death while brooding their eggs because they refuse to leave the nest at all.

Keep her secluded on the nest with food and water accessible. Offer her some time in the run if she'd like. It will only be a month [​IMG] so she'll be fine.

Carla

5. 6mutts

Oct 6, 2008
    St. Clair, MO
    thank you so much, I feel much more confident about going head with the plan now! i'll try to post some pics when i finish

6. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:What Carla says. I had to learn the hard way with my broody.

7. CarlaRiggs

Well, good luck with this! [​IMG]
    I would think having a hen hatch her own chicks would be really fun... especially for children. I guess I shouldn't say 'especially for children'. [​IMG] This is something everyone enjoys.

Please keep us posted.

Carla

8. 6mutts

Oct 6, 2008
    St. Clair, MO
    ok I seperated the coop as shown in the pic above, I just used some flexible screen that i had left over and stapled it as a barrier, seems to be working! Keeps the air flow but blocks the other gals from coming on her side of the coop. I put a nest bow on the opposit side for the girls and it took them a minute to take to it, but this afternoon they had left me 5 eggs in there so I guess they all used it! I also put food and water on the broody's side and she is doing good and relaxed---oh and this afternoon when i checked on her she has left my a HUGE poop-it looked like my dog had gotten in there!

Now i just hope they do okay with this freezing ice storm we're having over the next 3 days.....

9. CarlaRiggs

That large amount of fertilizer she left you as a gift [​IMG] is a good sign. It means that the hen is staying on her nest and keeping the eggs warm. You may want to put an old quilt or something over the coop, just to give it a little insulation overnight. Be sure to take it off first thing in the morning, though so the chickens can get fresh air.
    I'm glad to hear that everyone seems happy with their new arrangement.

Carla

10. 6mutts

Oct 6, 2008
    St. Clair, MO
    thought i'd post some pics of what I did...
    here'a the coop, i think you can see the screen that i placed in the middle there....

[​IMG]

and here's the broody gal...her name is Marissa [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and for fun, here's my doggies playing in the snow! The second pic is of my hairless dog who is obviously NOT having fun....poor thing!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by