Move her eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KennyWoods, Jan 4, 2011.

1. KennyWoods

KennyWoods New Egg

Aug 2, 2008
    Texas
    I have two Golden Buff hens and a rooster. They have just started to lay and I bought them and a Rooster from a friend and I put them in a coop. They are the only chickens I have at this time and the coop has two nest boxes that my last hens layed in over a year ago. These hens only lay on the grong on a pile of hay. Is there anything I can do so they will start laying in the nest boxes where I can get the eggs from outside the coop instead of having to go inside? Just wandering

2. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    maybe try putting some plastic eggs or a golfball into the nest. worth a shot. good luck

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I'm a believer in the fake eggs. That is a good suggestion.

You might try locking them in the coop for a few days. Don't give them the option of laying outside. Chickens are creatures of habit. If you get them in the habit of laying inside, they may not lay outside when you let them back out.

A few times, I've had hens that decide to lay on the floor of the coop instead of in the nests. When I catch them laying on the floor, I lock them in a nest until they lay that egg. I built my nests so I could lock them in so that part is easy for me. Usually they lay within a half hour and start laying in the nest after the one time, but I had one stubborn hen that waited three hours to lay the egg then I had to do it again the nest day. She did get the message that second time.

Good luck!

4. palochknldy

palochknldy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Palo, Iowa
    Fake egg in the nest box. For a couple of days we thought one of our girls wasn't laying and thought it was weird since everyone has been regular, even in the cold and less light. Upon closer inspection, we found that she was laying in the pen under the ramp. We placed a big block of wood where she had been laying and the next day she was back to laying in the nest box.

5. KennyWoods

KennyWoods New Egg

Aug 2, 2008
    Texas
    Thank You ALL and I will get some fake eggs from the feed store tomorrow and try that. This coop is new to them and maybe they will get in line soon and love their nests. Again Thanks...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by