1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Move it or build a new one...that is the question!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Young Farmer, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Young Farmer

Young Farmer Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2012
    Bedford NH
    So I havent been on her much as I have been super busy in the last year with my landscape company growing, and it has become the time that I move out of my parents house. (I am 20 years old) I rent a shop a town over from my parents now and the owner is building an aparntment above the garage that I will be moving into in December. Thankfully the landlord is willing to let me bring my chickens. My only problem is the coop. My current coop is 4x8 and in ok shape. The floor could be replaced and it could use a coat of paint. But is is kinda small. I will be living on 32 acers and have access to all of them, so I will be getting more chickens. So do I move my current coop or build a new one? I could beild one twice as big for around $4-500 and transfer the nesting boxes etc. What would you guys do? Thanks!

2. yogifink

yogifink Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2013
    Pinebluff, nc
    My Coop
    I vote build a new one and use the scrap from the old coop.

3. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    With that much land I would bring the old one for younger birds then build a new one for the others.

4. Young Farmer

Feb 22, 2012
    Bedford NH
    Thats actually not a bad idea. My girlfriend asked me if we can get more. (I only have 9 now. I had 30+ at one point) and of course I said yes so I think building a new coop is on the agenda!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  5. CosmoTheRooster

CosmoTheRooster Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2013
    Oklahoma
    When it comes to building a larger coop, I always say "The bigger the better". Your chickens would be much happier and healthier with a bigger space. If you do decide do build another, build BIG. If you are going to be there for a while, build a 20 x 10. I am only renting my current property, so my 12 x 10 coop is on posts so I can move it with ease.

-Cosmo

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Think about the expense of building a large permanent coop on land you don't own.
    Maybe look at finding a large trailer frame that you could build the coop on, then if you do have to move it in the future, you can hitch it up and go. Just a thought. Good Luck!

7. CosmoTheRooster

CosmoTheRooster Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2013
    Oklahoma
    That would work.

8. Young Farmer

Feb 22, 2012
    Bedford NH
    Moving the coops would not be a problem. I have the equipment to move the buildings (1 ton trucks, flat bed trailer, and bobcat with forks to lift it up) But yes I have thought of finding a trailer to build the coop on. Any one ever done that?

9. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    advanced search>titles only>coop on trailer

10. yogifink

yogifink Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2013
    Pinebluff, nc
    My Coop
    look up 'tiny house' on youtube/google. Same idea except its a coop and not a persons house.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by