1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

move nest to keep eggs safe?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 6mutts, Jan 22, 2009.

1. 6mutts

6mutts Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2008
    St. Clair, MO
    I have a broody hen who is sitting on three fertile ggs, well when i go check on her in the afternoon there are 6 more eggs under her! Are the other girls kicking her out to lay and then she goes back and lays on all of them? I am worried this could somehow hurt the eggs, from to much moving? I have to scoot the extra eggs out each day and then she scoots the fertile one back under (I THINK these three are fertile b/c they are from my mom's flock and she has a roo, i don't). Should I move the nest she is on to a different place and move an un-used nest in it's place in hopes that the other girls will use it? Or will she just try to lay on all of them? Sorry if this was a bit confusing!

2. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    First of all, have you MARKED the eggs from your mother's flock?? Otherwise, you may get confused here!! [​IMG]

If they are marked, it should be easy to move the "new eggs" each day. You may want to get some more fertilized eggs from your Mom. Maybe your chicken is trying to tell you that she wants a bigger clutch!! [​IMG]

How many hens do you have? How many nests?? You may want to move her to a quieter place!!

Good Luck!!

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Isolate her completely!

I lost the only chick in the egg that developed about one or two days before it was to hatch.

4. 6mutts

Oct 6, 2008
    St. Clair, MO
    my moms eggs are double the size of mine and dark brown, so no confusion there!

I have 6 chickens and 3 nest boxes, they all use the same one though [​IMG]:he

you really think i should isolate her completely? not sure how i wouldpull that off, wont that make it harder to reintroduce them?

5. 6mutts

Oct 6, 2008
    St. Clair, MO
    any1?

6. We tried to "relocated" a wild game bird hen and her nest/eggs. Ya know I did not know that a chicken could fly 40 feet in the air and do it at 11 PM at night.

She never came back and we ended up incubating the eggs to hatch. We got really lucky. As a matter of fact, this is where my big ol' red jungle fowl roo came from and I still have the bad boy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by