move or not?hen with chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by snowflake, May 30, 2010.

1. snowflake

snowflake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    [​IMG] my Penny has 5 new chicks,while she was broody I had her in the main coop but fenced off with netting, now the 3day old are running around and getting near the people door and momma is still trying to hatch more. I can move her and chicks into a box with a top today in or out of the hen house. Or leave her were she is till Tues. when I will have a tractor available as the meat birds are going to visit the Amish. I think I need to take the rest of the eggs away from her though as yesterday my grandson found 2half hatched dead in the nest. What would you do? move twice, or wait?

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    I would wait .. You could kill the remainder of the eggs by trying to move now.. Was this a staggered hatch ?? I thought broodies typically hatch their chicks at roughly the same time???

3. snowflake

snowflake Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Belding Michigan
    yes it was rather staggered several chicks died unable to get out of the shell, the mom was chasing after chicks and unable to set at the same time. she is no longer setting on the eggs so I removed them. I was able to move things around a bit so the chicks can't get near the door. she is a good momma and has 6 healthy chicks. she is sticking close and teaching them how to eat and drink. It really is fun to watch.,Sad about the ones that didn't make it but we learned some. and maybe there will be another time.

4. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    Quote:Good attitude .... [​IMG] Its all a learning process.. Just in the future I wouldnt reccomned a broody for a staggered hatch , for the reasons you have already seen...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by