Move out of brooder?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jnicholes, Mar 17, 2017.

1. jnicholes

jnicholes Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2017
    Hi Everyone.

It is now 3 weeks 3 days since I got my chicks, and I have a couple of questions now.

First, when should I switch them from chick feed to regular feed?

Second, Are they now old enough to move out of the brooder into the coop? I have attached a picture of one.

Funniest thing, actually! Normally they are a little skittish and run when I try to pick them up. Today, I said to them, "Come here,"
    and one of the 10 came running to me and let me pick her up! It was COOL!!!!

Thanks!

Jared

[​IMG]

2. AZchickens17

AZchickens17 Chillin' With My Peeps

You said it has been 3 weeks 3 days since you got them, but how old are they?

3. jnicholes

jnicholes Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2017
    Hi there!

Sorry, I forgot to include that information. They were a day old when I got them.

Jared

4. -Wirth-

-Wirth- Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2017
    Northwest Florida
    Generally you don't switch from chick starter to layer feed until they begin laying eggs. Most bags of feed will have the information on the back that will give you an approximate time table for switching feeds. I would not recommend putting your chicks out in a coop until the have feathered out more. At 3 weeks old they can't really keep themselves warm yet. People have different opinions on the appropriate time to move chicks from the brooder to the coop, but the best rule of thumb is to wait until they have all of their feathers. If it is warm enough you can definitely start taking them outside some during the day and putting them back in the brooder to keep warm at night.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  5. AZchickens17

AZchickens17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Can they continue to eat chick crumble until they start laying eggs, or do they have to eat a grower feed and then a layer feed?

6. -Wirth-

-Wirth- Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2017
    Northwest Florida
    Both ways are acceptable practice and it comes down to what type of chickens you have (and if they are layers, meat or dual purpose) and your personal preference. Right now they should still only be eating chick feed. Meat chickens for example, generally eat a higher protein food like grower feed once they hit 10 weeks or so. Of course you will either find a food that includes, or supplement with oyster shell or something comparable once they start laying. You can't give that to them as chicks.. it can be deadly.

What kind of chickens do you have?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by