Move over Mucinex!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by max13077, Nov 27, 2008.

1. max13077

max13077 Chillin' With My Peeps

Here comes hot pick!!!

I was out giving the girls a little hot pick when I accidentally inhaled some of it!!! [​IMG] About 30 seconds later I started coughing... I'm not even sick but I started bringing up all kinds of stuff(I know it's gross). That could be a good thing, or bad thing...[​IMG] Ever had that happen? [​IMG]

2. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    What is hot pick? I've never heard of it.

3. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Hotpick makes me cough, too. I wonder if it's the capsacin (or whatever they use).

4. max13077

Hot pick is a liquid sold in an atomizer bottle that you spray on the birds. It supposedly deters chickens from picking each others butts, feathers, etc. It's a concoction made from soap, herbs, and spices that chickens are suppose to find tastes really bad. It's hoped that they make the connection between the bad taste and the picking and stop.

I breathed it in and it felt very much like your tongue does when eating hot peppers. So I think BeardedChick might be right. It has this feeling when you breath it like the lining of your throat is constricting or burning or something. It's tough to describe.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2008
  5. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    Sounds awful. I've heard that chickens don't taste the hot in hot foods, so how did hot pick work for you?

6. max13077

I don't know if they taste it or not. I put it on one and set her down. Not 5 seconds later another on came and nipped the sprayed one. She stood upright and snapped her beak together a couple of times and shook her head. I guess maybe she got something...[​IMG]

7. sarahloveschickens

sarahloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    hot pick?

8. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    Hot Pick is formulated with all natural ingredients to help reduce feather plucking and cannibalism in birds. It contains bitter herbs and spices in a natural base. HOT-PICK comes with a finger spray applicator and should be applied as needed. 4 oz. spray.
    This was on McMurry for sale

9. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't know if they taste it or not. I put it on one and set her down. Not 5 seconds later another on came and nipped the sprayed one. She stood upright and snapped her beak together a couple of times and shook her head. I guess maybe she got something...

I think they can taste something terrible... I sprayed it on my Polish roo who is picked almost baldheaded & the girls had the same reaction. Maybe one or two picks, then a shake of the head, then they wouldn't even turn their heads toward him.​

10. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    I am soooo glad to hear that !!!!!!![​IMG]

I am ordering some right now ! I have only one polish (punk rocker) and she is in a dog kennel in the garage for the last 2 weeks growing her head feathers back out. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by