Move the incubator on day 20?

CooperDooper

Chirping
Apr 28, 2013
Ridgefield, CT
What would you do?

My 7 eggs in my daughter's 6th grade science classroom are due to hatch tomorrow. I live in CT the forecast tomorrow is for 12", we will get 16" in our little 5 mile radius. I am pretty sure there will be no school tomorrow and perhaps Thursday too.

Do I bring the incubator home tonight? It's a 3.1 mile (8 minute) drive. I do have a generator, should we lose power.

Oregonkat:
Yes, I was planning to take them home after they hatched anyway.
I did drive them home yesterday and we have a webcam set up and the kids are all watching and commenting! It's going well. None have pipped but they are moving and shaking and occasionally chirping!

I've read that they can survive several hours without heat when they're that far along, so as long as it really is that quick of a drive then my guess is they would be ok. Just be sure to keep the incubator shut and maybe wrap it in a blanket to insulate it during the drive. But if you don't want to take that risk, they are also fine to be in the incubator without food or water for 24 hours after they hatch.

What would you do?

My 7 eggs in my daughter's 6th grade science classroom are due to hatch tomorrow. I live in CT the forecast tomorrow is for 12", we will get 16" in our little 5 mile radius. I am pretty sure there will be no school tomorrow and perhaps Thursday too.

Do I bring the incubator home tonight? It's a 3.1 mile (8 minute) drive. I do have a generator, should we lose power.
Do you have a brooder to put the hatchlings in at home or were you planning on just taking the whole set up back to school with the hatching eggs and chicks? I think if you have a place for them at home, I would take them home and let them hatch. The ride is short to your house so the eggs should be fine for the journey they can be without heat for a little while. IMHO.

Oregonkat:
Yes, I was planning to take them home after they hatched anyway.
I did drive them home yesterday and we have a webcam set up and the kids are all watching and commenting! It's going well. None have pipped but they are moving and shaking and occasionally chirping!
That's perfect. Gotta love technology. I hope the kids enjoy the show!

Back
Top Bottom