Moveable Duck pen ideas?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by generaldsherman, Sep 2, 2016.

1. generaldsherman

generaldsherman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2015
    Idaho
    Hello! I just moved to Idaho, and I have my landlords permission to build a chicken tractor to wheel around his empty pasture, but I gave my chickens away/sold them as I didn't think I could keep them. All I have left is my 6 runner ducks at my sister's place. Portable duck pen ideas, anyone? I was thinking something along the line of a chicken tractor, but it needs to be bigger as the ducks are going to be in the pen all of the time. It also needs to be lightweight, so wood frame for the run is not ideal. Suggestions?

2. lovemy mallards

lovemy mallards Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2015
    MARION COUNTY TN
    [​IMG]We used pvc pipe to build ours so we could move ours around the yard so they can have fresh grass all the time. we let them out when we are outside. we are in process of fencing in our yard so they can get out all day. good luck

1 person likes this.
  3. purslanegarden

purslanegarden Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2016
    Bigger pen just means you need better ways to move it! Do you have those riding mowers or even a small tractor to do it?

The other case is that if you don't have those and don't want a smaller pen so that you can move it, you might have to consider other birds besides ducks.

4. generaldsherman

generaldsherman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2015
    Idaho
    That'd be nice...I like riding lawnmowers. I'll be creative and figure something out. Only thought of ducks because I still own 6 runners. Sold all of the chickens.

5. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    I move all my coops around with my mower/tractor. Its actually a lot of fun.
    My coops are wood triangle shapes and they have wheels on the bottom.

6. Duck Drover

Duck Drover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    Washington
    We have made some pens with PVC and chicken wire but what I like even better is the dog exercise pens. You can get whatever height you need and they have gates on them. Hook up as many as you want together and you can make them into any size and shape you want.

1 person likes this.
  7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Just make sure the bottom of the pen has no gap - raccoons will reach under and pull ducks out bit by bit.

8. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    Mine are wired underneath.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by