1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

moveable fence for free ranging?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by stone_family3, Apr 3, 2012.

1. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    We have a fenced in run for the girls but they like to get out and roam. I was thinking of making a moveable fence to give them more room when we are home.

I was going to set up saw horses and cover it with a plastic net like fence. I can set it up and take it down quickly. My girls aren't jumpers and they would have about 20' x75' to roam in.

Has anyone done this before? Love to hear and see your moveable fence.

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    The 4ft green plastic garden fence with push in ground green metal post is easy to assemble and move about. We have that but our gals like to fly. It's more of a deterrent or "speed bump" than actual containment fence for them. I probably should have clipped wings but am getting rid of the production reds who are the leaders in escape plans. Then the Orp rooster follows then who ever else can make the fence, then I round them up...

But those garden fencing systems are easy if your chickens wont fly 4 ft. ($38 per 50 ft roll).

http://www.lowes.com/pd_157767-1311...rentURL=/pl__0__s?Ntt=garden+fence&facetInfo=

I see it went up since I'd bought it. Posts are about $5.50 ea.

3. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Yeah only one of my girls is a flyer and she only flies to get out of the run. Once she's in the yard she stays in a pretty small area. That fence is the exact material I'm looking to use. I might even put some over the coop door so when I don't want them in teh yard they can still get some extra fresh air.

My girls are notorious for following me around out there begging for treats LOL.

4. Jakl

Jakl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2012
    If there are no predators, why not just let them out when you are around? Except for tender young plants (and lettuce [​IMG] ) They won't hurt anything. I have better luck fencing off what I'd rather they didn't eat, and letting them GET OUT, they love it.

5. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    I don't have a fenced in yard and I'm technically not supposed to have them so I need to "hide" them from street view. Also my husband doesn't want them pooping in part of the yard.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I bought the electric poultry netting from Premier 1 online, but I didn't buy the fence charger since they cost a bunch extra. It comes with the step in poles and netting all connected and ready to put up. It is 100 feet long, and I can move it all around. Currently the girl's pasture is being re-seeded so they are in my yard. One my girls got over 6 months old they stopped flying, and they didn't ever fly over the netting since they can't perch on top. I have used it for 9 months and just bought 2 more to make garden fencing.

7. stone_family3

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    Awesome, sounds great. Glad I'm not the only one doing a movable fence.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by